BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What do you think of these snows?

4485 Views 47 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  NastyNoble3K
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/1404689404.html

Not going for style here. Price seems right. Will they fit?
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
i had same tires on my 5 series, and they were great in snow!

not sure if these will fit on 7
Since you had them, how many miles did you get out of them? The ad states they have 12k miles on them, just want to make sure I can get two winters out of them.
i would never buy used tires again :(
Share? :dunno:
i would never buy used tires again :(
i got about 7-8K and then i sold my car, but tires looked as good as new.
I've made the mistake of buying used snow tires that didn't have many miles on them, but the rubber broke down after one season of use. The rubber has a finite shelf life and many times the used snows have been around for several seasons, even though they don't have the miles to show it.
Share? :dunno:
I think the rim will fit; I believe that rwd E60 17" rims will fit E65/66 in general. I was looking for style 138 myself. the issue is with tires. E60 tires have lower load rating than what E65/66's requirements. I don't know if it's the deal breaker but you may want to check out tire dealers see if it's safe to do that. I see that E60 17" tires have load rating of 99 or lower and E65/66 use 103.
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/1404689404.html

Not going for style here. Price seems right. Will they fit?
i was told that 17s will not fit on the 7

i think by csmeanse, forget how to spell his name but he drives a 760Li
I am thinking of doing this: They only make 19" snows to fit the front and the spare is the same as the 19x9 front. I'll pick up another 19x9 style 95, put snows on them and put them all around. I'll sell the rears with the brand new michelins and hopefully the three take-off's from the front and spare as well and then buy my 128's over the winter. I'll use the snow as my spare after the winter.

I gotta think 19x9's all around with snows can't look that bad or any worse than any alternative snow set up. What do you think?
Joe - I didn't check out the wheels, so I can't say whether E60 wheels would fit an E66. I'm thinking the offset (et20 on 17" and 18") and/or centerbore for an E60 may be different, but I'm not 100% sure. I think the E65/66 has an et24 offset. Not a huge difference on offset; the unknown is the centerbore. Others in here may be able to comment.

I bought used snow tires. "Once," as the Joe Piscopo character said in "Johnny Dangerously." They looked great in the Ebay ad, but had apparently been installed on a car that needed alignment. They were cupped and worn on the tread shoulders. I ended up buying two more new ones and ran the best remaining two to get through winter.

There are two reasons contemporary snow tires are better than old-school snow tires and all-season tires: (1) they have sipes, which are small cuts in the tread that allow the tire to gain traction on ice and snow and (2) the rubber compound has a microcellular composition that offers the same benefit as siping at a micro level. The sipes and microcells do the same thing: they channel the thin layer of water from between the tire and the ice/snow to allow the tire to dig in and provide traction. Once the tire wears down past the sipes and the outer layer of microcellular tread, the tires are not nearly as effective. If you buy used, you need to be aware that there are some risks. I'd definitely check out the centerbore and offsets for E60 wheels first. I sent you a PM about a set I saw for sale.

Mike
good idea!

but then that leaves you without a spare, because all of the 19in wheels will have snow tires on them.
I am thinking of doing this: They only make 19" snows to fit the front and the spare is the same as the 19x9 front. I'll pick up another 19x9 style 95, put snows on them and put them all around. I'll sell the rears with the brand new michelins and hopefully the three take-off's from the front and spare as well and then buy my 128's over the winter. I'll use the snow as my spare after the winter.

I gotta think 19x9's all around with snows can't look that bad or any worse than any alternative snow set up. What do you think?
Joe - That's a good game plan. That way you don't have to drive around sporting weenie small-diameter winter wheels for 5 months like the rest of us! Then come spring, you be ballin' wit da 128s.

18's are the smallest rims you can put on the 7
I said this before, just to reiterate, check with Steve Martin (no, not the same Steve Martin) at Cain BMW in Ohio. I bought a set from him via ebay for $900 plus $150 shipping. I got a set of 18s with OEM brand new wheels and brand new dunlop snow tires, with the TPMS sensors (though my car doesn't use the sensors). He MIGHT have another set, no idea. He was great to deal with and the wheels are great looking (I know, most of you don't care for winter setup but it's nice to have) and the tires are the new style snows with sipes, etc. I ran them through tire rack for pricing and the tires alone are $250 each! Maybe I got the deal of the century but wouldn't hurt to contact him. My dealer wants $3500 on sale for a winter setup for the 7s.
Joe, do a search of some craigslists in the northeast and see if you can find some deals. might be worth paying the $200 shipping charge. I vaguely remember someone on this board found a set or two on the Dallas craigslist ( i just checked for you, none on that one). But try new york, philly, boston, virginia, etc. I only say that because if you're as anal as i am, i think the oem wheels look the best. i know you can get setups at tirerack, but i don't think the wheels look very good and you ARE going to be driving on them for quite a few months and still want to look stylin. Just my $.02.
DLF750 - I was on Tire Rack earlier and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 in a 245/50R18 is down to $197 + shipping.

I said this before, just to reiterate, check with Steve Martin (no, not the same Steve Martin) at Cain BMW in Ohio. I bought a set from him via ebay for $900 plus $150 shipping. I got a set of 18s with OEM brand new wheels and brand new dunlop snow tires, with the TPMS sensors (though my car doesn't use the sensors). He MIGHT have another set, no idea. He was great to deal with and the wheels are great looking (I know, most of you don't care for winter setup but it's nice to have) and the tires are the new style snows with sipes, etc. I ran them through tire rack for pricing and the tires alone are $250 each! Maybe I got the deal of the century but wouldn't hurt to contact him. My dealer wants $3500 on sale for a winter setup for the 7s.
Driver8, that is a better deal than I saw. Think they charge about $20 or so for shipping, each tire, not sure. Either way, it would've cost me still $900 with shipping just for the tires and my whole setup was $1150 including shipping. I just got freakishly lucky. just posted an ebay add that might work for Joe. But they are used.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.