BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first car, a '89 325i. My pop took took a look at it after I got it home and here's what we saw:

The rear right (passenger) side part of the frame almost rubs down onto the tire. We measured it as well, and it seems it's an inch lower than the other. None of the other areas above the tires do this. Also, there is a black, soot-like substance inside the muffler. The car has kind of a rumble, a vibration when running. The gas pedal is also low, and soft... and it feels kind of sluggish. I'm going to take it for a tune up pretty soon, but my pop is really stressing me out, like there's something seriously wrong with the car! I know these descriptions are vague, but what concerns me the most is the one inch lean ... so if there's anything, any help would be highly appreciated!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
get underneath the car and look to see that everything is connected where it should be on the sagging side....sway bar, shock, etc..maybe you need new shocks.

hopefully a tune up fixes the rest; it sounds like your car is running rich, is the check engine light on? oh and your gas pedal sounds like it just needs to be adjusted or something, but i am not sure how to do that or if it is possible. someone smarter than me will answer in a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the help! My engine light is on actually, along with the oil light... but the oil looks full and pretty clean. Hopefully soon I'll have the look over by the mechanic. Having no car experience makes it all so stressful!:eek: Guess it's gonna be quite the learning experience!

·
Cerebrum Digital
46 Posts
get underneath the car and look to see that everything is connected where it should be on the sagging side....sway bar, shock, etc..maybe you need new shocks.

hopefully a tune up fixes the rest; it sounds like your car is running rich, is the check engine light on? oh and your gas pedal sounds like it just needs to be adjusted or something, but i am not sure how to do that or if it is possible. someone smarter than me will answer in a bit.
Tune up will help.
The spring could be old too.....
Gas pedal issue - most likely juts need to adjust cable as the do stretch after 20 yrs (LOL), also check the bushings for the linkage under the dash and make sure bottom of pedal is firmly installed in the floorboard socket.

Thanks, I appreciate the help! My engine light is on actually, along with the oil light... but the oil looks full and pretty clean. Hopefully soon I'll have the look over by the mechanic. Having no car experience makes it all so stressful!:eek: Guess it's gonna be quite the learning experience!
Which oil light? below the Tach (oil pressure) or on the overhead panel (oil quantity)?

·
Registered
174 Posts
sound like you got some pretty good advise from everyone keep up updated to see if there might be any other help you may need

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply, been away from home!!! The oil light shows below tach, the one above is off.

Also, I'm trying to replace my driver side seat belt receptacle and the trim around the interior door handle... they both of proven VERY annoying, and I can't get either of them!!! How do I get the bolt loose holding down the receptacle... and how do I "slide" in the door handle trim???? :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts