BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 330i with bluetooth. I had a razr phone that worked well with it. I "upgrade" to a brand-spankin' new Nokia E70. This phone (well, more like a PDA) is fabulous. But ... it doesn't work with the BMW. It pairs okay but will never connect.

So, my question(s) is (are) this (these), Nokia has compatible phones. I know, I've seen them listed. How come some of thier phones work while others (including a newer one like the E70) do not?

The phone pairs and connects beautifully to my two computers and my headset. What exactly is it that doesn't work?

Is there any tweaking that can be done to either phone or car to get this to work, even if only to use the hands free mode (e.g. not interface with the data in the phone).

Finally, not wanting to point fingers but, who needs to change, Nokia or BMW?

Thad

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Thad said:
Finally, not wanting to point fingers but, who needs to change, Nokia or BMW?

Thad
Both... more than technical reasons, what you are experiencing are business decisions in my professional opinion and experience (telecommunications). Bluetooth profiles are being crippled in the name of less cost and higher margins on both sides... the carriers and the car manufacturers. Supporting full Bluetooth profiles on both sides require development and testing costs that simply are not guaranteed to be recovered at the consumer end. Plus some carriers have business plans and goals which Bluetooth simply is in the way.

For example, why the BT profile that supports the transfer of the SMS text has to be included in all the Bluetooth phones if the only way to really take advantage of this feature is if the car has a Navigation or standard LCD screen? The opposite way is true too, why a Bluetooth module in the car has to support all the profiles included in a phone if the volume of sales of cars with full support of those profiles are not enough to cover the cost of developing that module with a full BT load? A more basic example, the connect and disconnect that you are experiencing... sounds like the defeat of the purpose of Bluetooth being an industry standard, doesn't it? The industry really does not like Bluetooth as the standard because they have to pay for it, so again the simple task of pairing and making a call from any phone to a BT receiver suddenly becomes a luxury and not the standard.

Just give thanks to BMW for having the best Bluetooth support among all car manufacturers, even when they do not support a lot of phones but they do support more useful features than anybody else in the market... that's the reason those phones that fully support all those features, all the time, day in and day out without glitches are in the OEM approved list. To include any other phone costs money that perhaps they are not going to see back with profits anytime soon... and still, they expand the list from time to time to keep up with the consumer needs, new phones and laws governing handsfree calling in some states.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.