BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am two months into owning my first BMW, a 2017 550i GT xDrive with lots of options and I found I don't know a lot about my car. It's a blast to drive in Sport mode, but this doesn't make it an M550i, does it? The only place I noticed the M logo is on the steering wheel. I doubt I'm missing much in the way of performance, but I'd like to know anyway. Just what does the mSport package do ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sometimes the M Sport packages consist of nothing more than M trim accessories. Do you have the original Monroni sticker on the car? If so, it might spell out what's in the package. You can also do a vin # search to find out what's on the car. Also, regarding all the goodies on the car that you've yet to discover, there are actually features programmed into the various systems on the car that may actually not have been activated by BMW simply because a given package was not purchased at the time the car was built. I ended up buying the Carly adapter and app and discovered that there are numerous codings that you can do with it to personalize you car, from how may wiper strokes after the washers are used, how bright the angel eyes are, how many times the blinkers flash on the momentary detent, and many other adjustments you can make. If that interests you, just go to the Carly website to investigate just what you can code into your car.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Option Pkgs for the 2017 550ix GT:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazing! I didn't see that coming. Are you pleased with the Carly app/adapter?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, quite satisfied. Makes coding of hidden features and making changes to existing ones available to anyone and also makes it very easy as well. A couple of discoveries I made when using it is that it's kinda fussy about its voltage requirements, so doing the coding with the engine running keeps it happier, and I had a problem with getting the app on my phone and the carly adapter to link up numerous times, so after going back & forth with carly support (also numerous times) and sending them the logs, they sent me another adapter gratis. While awaiting delivery of the adapter, I decided that just for the heck of it I'd try out the app via my tablet, and it connected right up and worked better and faster than the phone ever did. Now I'm thinking that the issue was the phone all along. Haven't tried the new adapter they sent just yet. Need to do that just for the heck of it to see if there's any difference at all. Carly is also always working to add new codings to the app, so hopefully there'll be even more neat stuff to unlock and use/change in the future. I suppose if you are really tech savvy, you could just buy a cable and code thing yourself with a laptop, but that's a bit above my pay grade I suspect. I'm afraid that if I ever got silly and took a run at doing that, I'd end up with a 4500 lb. paperweight sitting in the garage after screwing up half of the modules in this car. Gee, now that I think about it, I should maybe hunt up some other BMW owners and offer to code theirs on the cheap. A little "south" money never hurts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Darn, Central Kentucky...too far for me. How easy-difficult is it to use Carly, Plug and play, or a lot of Tech stuff that Im not about to try?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, carly is (sorta) plug & play. You have to buy the adapter and the app (which you can then put on all your phones, tablets, etc. at no extra charge). Then plug the adapter into your OBDII port, turn on bluetooth on your phone (or tablet) link them together. You do the coding changes one at a time, and it usually takes anywhere from a minute to a few minutes for carly to change things, after which it will instruct you to turn the ignition off and back on to set the changes on the modules. Diagnostics takes longer to do as it has to check everything on the car, but it does a pretty good job of informing you as to just what is wrong and points you in the right direction so you can find the offending part or issue instead of simply throwing a code at you and you having to dig to find the issue. I had a number of trouble codes on this car when I purchased it, from brakes to air suspension to lights to drivers seat controls. I discovered that despite what led bulb sellers claim, these cars, for the most part, will still throw a code if you install them to replace oem incandescents. It also helped me to discover that whomever did the last brake job on the car failed to replace the rear wear sensor. And despite the seat trouble code, the seat worked 100%. Ultimately I discovered (from 2 other trouble codes) that the connectors in these cars are extremely finicky, and many times all that's needed to rectify a problem is to simply unplug and replug the connector to make things right again. Did that on the seat and the trouble code was gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is true, but actually, once you get all of the coding done to your liking, you could simply drop the subscription and then just keep an eye on the carly website to see it there was anything new that you would need to re-subscribe to acquire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts