BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every so often there is a small triangle next to the signal-strength bars on my display. I have a 2011 wagon with Nav and BT. My latest theory is that the phone is low on battery power. Does anyone know for certain? (Photo below.) Thanks!

Attachments

·
Snipes
25 Posts
its showing u that there is a warning on. could be ant thing like seat beld not on or fuel reserve or service ietem due in the background:thumbup:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,939 Posts
Every so often there is a small triangle next to the signal-strength bars on my display. I have a 2011 wagon with Nav and BT. My latest theory is that the phone is low on battery power. Does anyone know for certain? (Photo below.) Thanks!
Not a clue. Don't have iDrive. Have you looked through the manual carefully?

·
8D
745 Posts
I've never seen anything like that. There should be a written warning prompts for low fuel, seat belt, etc. on top of iDrive screen. And I don't think iDrive is that smart to alert the driver of low cell battery... lol

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Roaming

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few responses:

1. I doubt it is "roaming" as the photo was taken in my driveway.
  2. I don't think it is the general "exclamation pt. in a triangle" as this shows up independently of that symbol in the dashboard.
  3. I still think it is BT-related as the same location is used for the round symbol when the phonebook is being transferred.
  4. I did look through the manual a few times (I even have it on my Kindle), but I couldn't find anything.

Keep those guesses coming. ;) And, if anyone really knows the answer, please send it in. I still think it is as broad as "there is a warning message on your phone" or the more specific "low battery warning" from the phone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Roaming. Triangle next to antenna bars / martini glass is the standard symbol. Check your phone next time you see it to verify.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
We're telling you...ROAMING!
Sorry to be contrary and obstinate, but there MUST be more to the story. I consult in the cellular industry to supplement my meager salary as a professor, and I know something about the technology and the standards. There is no system on which I could have been roaming. I am an AT&T subscriber, and the phone is an iPhone 3GS, neither unlocked nor jail-broken. The photo was taken in my driveway. It could only have been on the AT&T network as there is literally no other system on which it could have been roaming. (My phone does not work on T-Mobile.)

The next time the triangle appears, I'll pull over and look at the network indicator on the phone to check. (Or maybe I'll follow slant83's lead and look for those nearby pyramids??)

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
triangle = roaming active.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
triangle = roaming active.
Wow...I'm almost convinced. Below is the equivilent page from my manual (2011 sedan & wagon). It is interesting that none of your manual, my manual, or the actual display are exactly alike. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated info...

The triangle came back this evening as I was driving through the hills near my home. I pulled over and discovered two alerts on the phone: missed call and new voicemail. (Usually a single missed call alert triggers a different icon.) Reception is notoriously spotty in these hills, but I confirmed I was not roaming (and there is no system on which to roam, anyway).

So my conclusion is that for my combination of a 2011 with Nav and PP combined with an iPhone 3GS, the triangle indicates one or more miscellaneous alerts on the phone. I can't test if it also indicates roaming as there is no way for me to check that. Possibly this is why my manual has dropped the "triangle = roaming" text.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I suspect the reason that nobody else here sees that is because the pairing between the Iphone and Idrive is some optimized. Its a bit more functionality than most of us get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts