Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered Loser
842 Posts
Update:
TC is definitely bad and the SES light came back on after two weeks. I notice a slight slip now when driving on the highway. I'm hoping that I haven't caused any damage to the transmission by not having the TC replaced. Made appointment for Monday at an indy trans shop recommend by local reputable indy mechanic. Labor only is $595.
Gotta order the TC now from torqueconverter1.com. Anyone else use these guys? I read a positive response from one person, but would like to hear from others. Indy wanted ~$300 to rebuild. I can get one for $265 delivered.
Price beats the stealers quote of $2,500.

·
Registered Loser
842 Posts
Update 2:
The SES light went out last night and has not come back on. Does this mean my TC fixed itself? :confused:
I'm going in to have the TC changed tomorrow anyway, so hopefully it's not a waste of $855. :mad:

Has anyone seen this happen before and what was the cause?

·
Registered
2 Posts
my p0741 code just came on, what should i do.

i have my 2002 330ci! and i love it. i got it last feburary, and it has now about 80,000 miles on it. My SES light came on and i ran the code, they said my torque converter needs to be replaced... however, im concern that if just fixing the converter wont really fix it. Should i change the whole transmission?? has anyone every come to this problem and has it worked???

im thinking about just trading it in for a newer model bmw, any suggestions???

·
Registered
600 Posts
P0741 is usually resolved with a TC replacement, but you need to do whatever research is necessary to give yourself peace of mind. You can get the repairs done for less than half of what the dealer will charge, which is also less than half of the hit you'll take trying to sell/trade a broken car.

I think your concern is unfounded, but I'm not the expert. Call someone who is: Steve Dose.

And see this thread for more info: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409201

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Update 2:
The SES light went out last night and has not come back on. Does this mean my TC fixed itself? :confused:
I'm going in to have the TC changed tomorrow anyway, so hopefully it's not a waste of $855. :mad:

Has anyone seen this happen before and what was the cause?
How did the TC change go? Does the car drive the same now?

Is there any update on a TC rebuild with a newer seal that will not have the same wear problem?

Update: 10/15/2014 it has been a year since I replaced the torque converter (torqueconverter1.com) , atf filter/fluid at 180,000 miles , light is gone drives like a dream.

·
Registered Loser
842 Posts
How did the TC change go? Does the car drive the same now?

Is there any update on a TC rebuild with a newer seal that will not have the same wear problem?
Everything went well and I've had no more issues with the TC.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine strangely gave the P0741 out of nowhere during a reader test checking into my no start issue. I deleted the code and went on researching the no start issue which I resolved by replacing the Fuel Pump. I had no other instances of the code. I have noticed every now and then a longer time shifting out of 2nd to 3rd gear I believe. But like most everybody else, it drives like a dream otherwise. My previous 97 528i flashed the code and after clearing a couple of times, I took it to an Indy who was suggesting seals job I believe. But the next time I took it there they didn't read any codes so I didn't get any work done and ended up selling to buy my 01 530. My concern is wanting to do some kinda maintenance (like all the other stuff we do) but would obviously fear opening the tranny pandora's box!! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
P0741 torque converter code thrown

here we go.....

bought [530i e39 2003 85k] and drove it additional 40k and changed plugs, valve gasket, vanos seals, water pump, radiator, thermostat, intake/exhaust cam sensors.
P0340 disappeared ! (due to intake CAM Shaft Sensor replace)

WOW ! WHAT A SUCCESS STORY.

3k later, i changed the tranny fluid with RedLine D4.

Drove it. tranny funny....probably needed to settle in.
Yep...started to drive nice again, but not with the awesome pickup after 'SUCCESS STORY'

CODED ! p0340 (cam sensor) AND p0741 (which had teased me 1,2 times in the last 3 years.)

FORWARD THINKING
contacted CAM Sensor vendor to get a real OEM one.
thinking P0741 means i need new TC seal. can see minimal leak below torque converter.

??LEVEL OF EFFORT ??
how hard is a TC + seal change compared to the vanos seal job ?
i can get to a shared garage for use of a lift.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Noticed this is an old thread resurrected, so, I'll just point to the threads found by typing /P0741 in the bestlinks ...
- How to diagnose the P0741 DTC (1) & how to replace your torque converter (1)

·
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null
3,522 Posts
Sorry to dredge up a real dinosaur here but I'm getting the same code about every three days.. I'm freaking out because I'm in the middle of changing jobs and I really don't wanna drop 5 grand on a tranny... So... Who has really fixed this issue. And ultimately did it just come down to biting the bullet for the new TC? Only code is P0741..

·
Bimmer ****ie
60 Posts
I bought my one owner 02 530I last year (116K) and the original owner maintained it very well with the exception of transmission fluid change. His indy said not to change it as it was "lifetime fluid". I went ahead and had my transmission guy service the trans after I got it home from California. Transmission shifted great before and after servicing. About 1700 miles after the trans service I got the dreaded PO741 code. I reset it twice and it kept coming back. Trans shop says it needs the converter replaced. I may or may not tackle this job myself. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry to dredge up a real dinosaur here but I'm getting the same code about every three days.. I'm freaking out because I'm in the middle of changing jobs and I really don't wanna drop 5 grand on a tranny... So... Who has really fixed this issue. And ultimately did it just come down to biting the bullet for the new TC? Only code is P0741..
For me yes it ultimately did come down to biting the bullet for a new TC.

After replacing the TC I have not gotten P0741 since.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the code for about 8,000 miles now and other than the light on the dash, no issues that I can detect. I took into the local indy and they said no need to fix it until it starts to actually give problems and that people have gone tens of thousands of miles with that code. I'm at 103K miles now so I plan to just keep soldiering on until it gives me a problem. I still get pretty decent MPG (20 in mixed driving, probably 25-26 straight highway driving) so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
266 Posts
guy's it wont hurt the trans to run with this code, but you should fix it and it will effect gas mileage , and with the SES light on all the time you wouldn't be alerted if (when) another issue come up.

·
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null
3,522 Posts
But the code is annnoooyyyyyyiiiinnngggggg...... But I don't know if its 1000 bucks annoying... I mean the only thing I love more than my family is money... And that's a bit of a chunk to let loose....

·
Registered
2 Posts
p0741 code

Joined the forum today just to share my side of the p0741 code enigma.. bought a 2001 330ci convertible with sports package with 140k miles in decent condition. After 15k highway miles the p0741 code came on. I noticed that before the code came on my rpms would fluctuate for a while before finally settling. I figured it had something to do with the MAF, throttle sensor, or a possible vacuum leak. After the SES light came on that issue completely went away and actually runs better?? Throttle response improved and the transmission shifts are as smooth as ever? Wierd. My combined mpg didn't change much either. It went from 21 to 20.8.. Any comments?

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Joined the forum today just to share my side of the p0741 code enigma.. bought a 2001 330ci convertible with sports package with 140k miles in decent condition. After 15k highway miles the p0741 code came on. I noticed that before the code came on my rpms would fluctuate for a while before finally settling. I figured it had something to do with the MAF, throttle sensor, or a possible vacuum leak. After the SES light came on that issue completely went away and actually runs better?? Throttle response improved and the transmission shifts are as smooth as ever? Wierd. My combined mpg didn't change much either. It went from 21 to 20.8.. Any comments?
What you've just described is textbook Torque Converter Clutch seal failure. If the clutch seal fails, you will get an SES light, an RPM fluctuation, a reduction in mileage, better throttle response (the transmission computer doesn't need to unlock the converter first), and the shift quality won't change at all.

What's going on? Most likely, an internal fluid pressure seal has failed. The seal goes around the transmission input shaft and generates the hydraulic pressure that keeps the clutch locked on the highway for better gas mileage. You shouldn't lose any transmission fluid, though, as the seal is internal.

If you go in for a diagnosis, you will likely be told a couple of things:

• Replace the torque converter at $1,200 from BMW, or $350 for the rebuilt, aftermarket RevMax units, plus the labor for installation. I've been quoted anywhere from $600 if I provide everything to $900 if the shop provides the transmission fluid for my 03 530i.
  • Rebuild the transmission for about $3,000, including a new converter. Considering the mileage your car has, I would look at this option, especially if the automatic transmission fluid has never been changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you've just described is textbook Torque Converter Clutch seal failure. If the clutch seal fails, you will get an SES light, an RPM fluctuation, a reduction in mileage, better throttle response (the transmission computer doesn't need to unlock the converter first), and the shift quality won't change at all.

What's going on? Most likely, an internal fluid pressure seal has failed. The seal goes around the transmission input shaft and generates the hydraulic pressure that keeps the clutch locked on the highway for better gas mileage. You shouldn't lose any transmission fluid, though, as the seal is internal.

If you go in for a diagnosis, you will likely be told a couple of things:

• Replace the torque converter at $1,200 from BMW, or $350 for the rebuilt, aftermarket RevMax units, plus the labor for installation. I've been quoted anywhere from $600 if I provide everything to $900 if the shop provides the transmission fluid for my 03 530i.
  • Rebuild the transmission for about $3,000, including a new converter. Considering the mileage your car has, I would look at this option, especially if the automatic transmission fluid has never been changed.
I wonder how hard of a task it would be to perform a manual swap on one of these cars?.. since I probably will need to rebuild the whole tranny given the milage. I come across them every now and now at local salvage yards. Any objections?

·
Bimmer ****ie
60 Posts
I dropped mine off at the transmission shop last Monday. He was cool with me ordering my own converter from torqueconverter1.com and installing it. Ordered the converter on Thursday evening and it was on my doorstep Saturday afternoon. It was a correct Made in Germany rebuilt unit with "Sachs" stamped in it. Looks like a really good quality part and it was only $279 shipped. Hoping to get the car back this week with the check engine light and code po741 gone for good. $400 to R&R the transmission to replace it and that includes changing the fluid too.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts