BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, the owners manual lists several different oil weights that can be used. The sticker under the hood reads 0-20, i,m not using that. I was going to try a 5-30 Pennzoil platinum euro. What do you all recmmend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pennzoil web site recmmends 0-40 or 0-30. Local bmw dealer told me to use 5-30. Owners manual lists 0-30, 0-20, 5-30,0-40 and 5-40. I called 3 different dealers and all 3 recmmend a different weight,lol i believe 0-20 is just for fuel milage,i will not use that,but thanks for the reply .

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3
1,435 Posts
Guess I should get clarification, what year is your X1?

Hi everyone, the owners manual lists several different oil weights that can be used. The sticker under the hood reads 0-20, i,m not using that. I was going to try a 5-30 Pennzoil platinum euro. What do you all recmmend.

·
Registered
10,716 Posts
Frau Putzer absolutely flogged her V6 Honda Accord. She actually shredded a set of Michelin Primacy "Green" tires. Huge chunks of rubber were coming off the tires' tread blocks. The car used 5W-20 oil, and I used synthetic although it wasn't required. After 147k miles and 8k to 9k miles oil change intervals, the car got the same MPG as when it had 40k miles, the engine was spotless inside, and it didn't need top-off oil in between oil changes. The oil level did go from MAX all the way down to MIN during an oil change interval, though.

Based on the experience with Frau Putzer's Honda, I'm going to RTFM and use 0W-20 BMW LL-14FE+ in her new X3 30i. The only difference is the BMW has a turbocharger. I worry about that thing not lasting 100k miles with 0W-20 oil. I'm going to assume that BMW spec'ed the turbochargers so that they're happy with 0W-20 oil. The new Honda's with turbochargers use 0W-16 oil.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
Maybe I like living dangerously but Ive been using BMW's LL-01, 5w-30 Syn. since my first early oil change up here in the snowbelt. I'm more interested in hot weather/turbo lubrication than fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info everyone, i'm going to try 5w30 or maybe 0w30. I already got a oil filter so i will pick up the oil and change it this weekend . Thanks again

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bump this to list "approved" other oils vs BMW branded. From Enclosure 8.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r60-jcw-sav/repair-manuals/11-engine/1VnZ96OfM0

Castrol EDGE Professional LL 14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Castrol Limited
MOTOREX CONCEPT B-XL SAE 0W/20 SAE 0W-20 BUCHER AG LANGENTHAL
Motul Specific LL-14 FE+ SAE 0W-20 Motul
PENTOSPEED LL-14 SAE 0W-20 FUCHS SCHMIERSTOFFE GMBH
Quantum Ultra B SAE 0W-20 FUCHS PTEROLUB SE
TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 Fuchs Petrolub SE

·
Registered
159 Posts
5.25L of full synthetic 0w-20 is what I would recommend.
Interesting the recommendation of "full synthetic" instead of "100% synthetic." I've read that there is a significant difference. Full synthetic is a petroleum base with synthetic additives. 100% synthetic has a synthetic base.

I've read some very compelling reviews from Porsche owners about Motul.

Will continue to research this further...

·
Registered
16 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU/

I used to use the Castrol Edge 0w-40 , but I heard that a year ago, it stopped becoming compatible... I did buy a few bottles to stock up, but just used the last one today.

So now, this oil is no longer certified for BMW despite what the description says. Either the oil is reformulated or BMW no longer wants to use Castrol products. They also lost the LL01 certification on the back of the bottle.

Anyone have any other recommendations besides using the BMW oil? I tried searching Mobil1 but none of their oils work. Castrol oil matcher recommends 5w-40 but the back doesn't show LL01 approved.

·
Registered
159 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU/

I used to use the Castrol Edge 0w-40 , but I heard that a year ago, it stopped becoming compatible... I did buy a few bottles to stock up, but just used the last one today.

So now, this oil is no longer certified for BMW despite what the description says. Either the oil is reformulated or BMW no longer wants to use Castrol products. They also lost the LL01 certification on the back of the bottle.

Anyone have any other recommendations besides using the BMW oil? I tried searching Mobil1 but none of their oils work. Castrol oil matcher recommends 5w-40 but the back doesn't show LL01 approved.
Yes. I would recommend Motul 8100 Xcess.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-cess-5w40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts