Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a real stupid question, but this is my first Bimmer and I've only had it a month. What gear do you use for a 90 degree corner? In my Prelude I always used 2nd, but in the BMW it seems too low. Then again 3rd seems rather high. I really don't like the feel of engine braking in 2nd so I've been using 3rd.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Depends upon how tight of a radius. I'd say stay in second then upshift after you apex as you are accellerating out of the corner.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
As you get more comfortable with the car you can begin accellerating before apex but I'd get used to the car first. Go take some driving schools and try this out on a track!

My local track has a couple tight 180s (35mph) and big 90s I can enter the 90s at 60mph and exit over 90mph

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
richard said:
I don't think I made myself clear. I was talking about just daily driving around town.
By the time you turn in, get in the gear that you want to use to accelerate out. If you don't like the feel of engine braking, then don't downshift until the tail end of your braking zone.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
yeah I would say second. I have never driven any vehicle yet, that second was not the optimum cornering gear concerning "around town" driving.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I was talking about around town driving. the same principles apply you just dont go as fast, hopefully, on the street as on a track.

Track driving makes you a better street driver.
Especially if you want to drive "spiritedly".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts