Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Be a race car Daddy!
2016 340i M-Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the posts I've read indicate that contis wear far better than Pilots or S O3s. Also, it appears from most posters that from a grip point of view, that most prefer the Pilots and S O3s over the Contis.

I'm kind of suspect of the Wear ratings I'm seeing at the TireRack (higher numbers are better)

Pilots - 7.3
S 03s - 7.3
Contis - 5.4

Also, several posters have indicated that the S O3s and the AVS Sports are noisier than the Contis and yet the noise rating is as follows-(higher numbers are better)

S 03s - 8.4
AVS - 7.2
Contis - 6.1

What are your subjective opinions?

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
i know S O3 wears really fast but have the best grip

contis loose gripability fast, but wear really slow

pilots im not sure about

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
I can attest to the contislips lack of traction. I drove through my favorite back roud this morning and was sliding all over the place, kicking off DSC around almost every corner. in fact (another miata reference, sorry), my miata with 3 uniroyals and one gas station tire holds the road significantly better than the bimmer with um.. "premium" tires.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Garbage in garbage out. How long do you think people think before choosing a number between 1 and 10 to rate a set of tires? :rolleyes: Find one guy with a brain who has had a couple of those tires back to back and you'll get better data. I have a new set of Pilots now, but only have SP8000s to compare them to.

However, I think you can get a general feel about how people are satisfied with their tires from the ratings and comments at tirerack (but I always wonder if guys working for rival companies are the ones leaving the really bad reviews). :confused: The S-03s seem to be well regarded all around.

T

·
0 Posts
Oddly, I've now had all three within the last year.

The Contis wear to a point very quickly then stop wearing. The Pilots wear fast and, I've heard, the S-03s wear comparably to the Pilots (I've only had them on for ~600 miles).

The Contis start out quiet and then become extremely loud. The Pilots and S-03s are both slightly louder new but do not get louder. Which means that after 5K or so, they are much quieter than the Contis.

Grip. The Contis grip okay new then suck. The Pilots grip great and the S-03s grip slightly better still.

I suspect the Contis have a different compound on the outer porion of the tread than they do on the inner portion. The inner tread is made up of econo-car compound - no wear, no grip, loud as hell.

Botom line- The Contis truly suck. Avoid them if possible. The S-03s are the best, cost no object.

·
Be a race car Daddy!
2016 340i M-Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TD said:
Oddly, I've now had all three within the last year.

Botom line- The Contis truly suck. Avoid them if possible. The S-03s are the best, cost no object.
Its nice to hear from someone who has owned all three Tom. :thumbup:

I have to agree with you completely about the Contis. Early in their life, they were sticky and quiet. Now, with 15,000 miles under my belt and approximiately 25% tread life left on the rears, they've lost a lot of stickiness.

With regard to the noise factor, they have definitely gotten louder. I was beginning to wonder if they got louder or I just became more aware of tire noise that was always there. I'm beginning to believe the first assumption was correct.

Now I'm stuck with a dilemna many have discussed-what to do for replacements. My rears are almost shot and the fronts have neglible wear. I really don't want to replace four tires when the fronts still have a lot of life left and I don't want to replace tires on an annual basis. :banghead: I'll be anxious to hear how your S03s wear.

I'm probably going to replace just the rears with Contis and replace all four after my second set of rears wear out. This is not my first choice solution, but it may be one that balances performance with economics.

T

·
0 Posts
sp330i said:

Its nice to hear from someone who has owned all three Tom. :thumbup:

I have to agree with you completely about the Contis. Early in their life, they were sticky and quiet. Now, with 15,000 miles under my belt and approximiately 25% tread life left on the rears, they've lost a lot of stickiness.

With regard to the noise factor, they have definitely gotten louder. I was beginning to wonder if they got louder or I just became more aware of tire noise that was always there. I'm beginning to believe the first assumption was correct.

Now I'm stuck with a dilemna many have discussed-what to do for replacements. My rears are almost shot and the fronts have neglible wear. I really don't want to replace four tires when the fronts still have a lot of life left and I don't want to replace tires on an annual basis. :banghead: I'll be anxious to hear how your S03s wear.

I'm probably going to replace just the rears with Contis and replace all four after my second set of rears wear out. This is not my first choice solution, but it may be one that balances performance with economics.
I only recently replaced the Contis (they came NEW on my CPO'd M3 - the Pilots were on my 330i SP). The fronts were visually still far from worn. But they no longer gripped for shit. I finally decided to replace all four, even though the fronts were hanging on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For PhilH

How do the Pilots compare with the Dunlop Sp8000s you owned previously. I always liked the SP8000 (about 1/2 the price of the Pilots), but, they are becoming harder to find. Thanks for any info.

Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Aren't the ratings relative to other tires in the same category (e.g. max performance, ultra high performance, etc...)?

Therefore a dry traction rating of 7 for an ultra high performance tire doesn't mean it has better dry traction than a max performance tire with rating of 6...

Someone should just call the Tire Rack for clarification... :)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
How do the Pilots compare with the Dunlop Sp8000s you owned previously. I always liked the SP8000 (about 1/2 the price of the Pilots), but, they are becoming harder to find. Thanks for any info.
The Pilots squeal way too much for my tastes, especially compared to the SP8000 which only ever made a little peep now and then when being totally flogged on the track (and even then only on bumpy sections of the track :confused: ).

It's really hard to compare the grip, ride and turn-in response, as my Dunlops were 225/55ZR16s compared to my new 235/45ZR17s. However, grip is up, ride quality is still surprisingly good (must be the Dinan suspension) and turn-in is obviously much improved with the shorter sidewall. I'm looking forward to the next drivers school to really put the Pilots to the test.

Now that I've spent some money to get what are supposed to be nearly the best tires available, it makes me realize that the SP8000 really is an amazing bargain

·
'Fester
400 Posts
I just replaced my Pilot's with S-03's today. I got 29,500 out of the Pilots but they were noisy. They were excellent tires in the rain. I will keep you posted on S-03's, I hope they last as long as the Pilots!

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
I don't think the noise values are a db level. I think they represent the user's opinions. I think it is supposed to be the higher the number, the quieter the ride in the opinion of those who have been surved.

dm

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Just call me a contrarian - I have about 15k miles on my Conti's with no complaints. I don't think they are loud. I don't think they are slippery. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

I also don't think they have worn all that much despite three track schools, so I suppose the must be slippery now if everyone else is right. Oh well - ignorance is bliss. Perhaps I will kick myself after I replace them for waiting for so long.

One other thing - for some reason I thought the fronts would wear out first - they take the brunt of the turning and breaking, after all. Is this just a left over feeling from my front wheel drive days or do you guys just do a lot of clutch drops?

·
Registered
196 Posts
For those with S-03's and SP

How many set of rears will the front pair go?

Do you typically change 4/time or 2 sets for every set of fronts or somewhere in between>?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts