BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am facing my first out-of-warrantee oil change. I want to switch to Red Line Oil as recommended by Mike Miller. He recommends using 10W-40 in the N54 engine but the Red Line Oil website recommends 5W-30, as does Bavarian Auto.

I live in the Washington DC area. The winters are mild (temperature almost never falls below 10 above zero) but the summers are brutal with temperatures frequently exceeding 95 degrees. Seems to me that 10 W-40 would be a better match to the climate than 5W-30 but maybe not.

Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
423 Posts
In theory, it makes a difference. In reality it makes no difference. Manufacturers recommend 5W-30 because it allows slightly better gas mileage when the engine is cold. Just make sure it's full synthetic and meets BMW's LL-01 specification.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I use bmw 5w-30. Don't recall mike miller recommending a weight change. But I did take his advice on redline MTL and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Redline 5w30. This summer when afternoon temperatures were in the 100 *F to 112 *F range, my oil temps stayed below 260 *F even when pulling fairly long, steep grades.

·
Just another Gear Head!
705 Posts
The 0W40 offers the best of both worlds. And right on the bottles from Mobil 1 and Castrol it states this is the "European Formula"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts