BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous BMW cars and my current M5 all followed Inspection 1 and 2 schedules for service. I knew what was going to be done and the cost. For the first time after warranty, my 2013 X3 is due for service. They tell me I have to bring my X3 in and they will read the key. This magic key will then tell them what service needs to be done. It can range from a simple oil change to having to change spark plugs and more. So until they read the key, they can't tell me if the service is $100 or $800+.

Is this the way all new BMW services are determined, from reading the key fob? Call me cynical, but it's strange how much suddenly is required for service after 50k miles that wasn't needed at 49,999 miles when under factory warranty.:rolleyes: And after the VW programming fiasco, I don't just trust that the software that determines service needs won't err to the financial benefit of BMW.

I'm at 54k miles by the way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. That's what they do now. At 54k, I'm sure they will want to change the plugs.
You called it. Oil change and plugs. Seems early for plugs in this age but the magic key fob said it's due. I don't like this new method. I have to make two trips to the dealer if I want to find out what is required before doing the actual work. I decided to have it done at the same time the fob was read.

Curious what the magic fob will say next service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The magic fob junk irks me too. I always think it's like a teacher grading my test in front of me or something. Even though I own the car and can do whatever I want to it, I feel trapped by the key that logs all of my bad behavior. I've always wanted to ask to see the screen and analyze what exactly they're privy too, but I'm always rushing in and out of the bay.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep...same with my F31 and new MINI Roadster S R59...read the key and that dictates required level of maintenance services. Sure hope the techs actually LOOK over the vehicle too and use their own judgement as to work that might be needed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You called it. Oil change and plugs. Seems early for plugs in this age but the magic key fob said it's due. I don't like this new method. I have to make two trips to the dealer if I want to find out what is required before doing the actual work. I decided to have it done at the same time the fob was read.

Curious what the magic fob will say next service.
~60k is now their interval for plugs in engines with turbo chargers

·
Anti-Hack
5,106 Posts
Of course. "Maintenance free" sells cars. Perceived quality sells cars, not quality itself. BMW does not care if it's vehicles last, only that people think they do. This is why service intervals have stretched out so much, as long as the vehicle gets through the warranty period BMW doesn't care about you. They'd be happy to sell you a new engine, or better yet a car. Every part of their transaction with a customer is to the financial benefit of BMW.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
My previous BMW cars and my current M5 all followed Inspection 1 and 2 schedules for service. I knew what was going to be done and the cost. For the first time after warranty, my 2013 X3 is due for service. They tell me I have to bring my X3 in and they will read the key. This magic key will then tell them what service needs to be done. It can range from a simple oil change to having to change spark plugs and more. So until they read the key, they can't tell me if the service is $100 or $800+.

Is this the way all new BMW services are determined, from reading the key fob? Call me cynical, but it's strange how much suddenly is required for service after 50k miles that wasn't needed at 49,999 miles when under factory warranty.:rolleyes: And after the VW programming fiasco, I don't just trust that the software that determines service needs won't err to the financial benefit of BMW.

I'm at 54k miles by the way.
BMW markets this as "condition based service" or CBS. The car (supposedly) will tell them what needs to be done, because not all miles are created equal.

That part is certainly true.. 40k miles in rush our 10 mile per hour traffic is not the same as 40k highway miles on the open road. All of the service items are based on wear, vs just changing things out at a mileage limit.

it does mean in your situation you might not know what needs to be done, but there are some things that are done based on CBS OR time (like yearly oil changes even if you dont drive enough to activate the CBS oil change indicator).

Totally understand your issue / problem with this... its just progress I guess. It doesnt really bother me, but thats because I am a serial leassor right now so I dont pay for any of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts