BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I've retrofitted a temp sensor in my car. I've connected up the grey/brown temp sensor wire to X1070 which is the plug that goes into the 7 button MID, and spliced the orange/brown ground from the sensor into the brown ground of X1070. That's the connection made!

At all points in the circuit, there is roughly 7.5 kilo ohms of resistance between the ground and the temp sensor wire, and the circuit is closed. It still reads -37.0 C though!

I read in three places on the internet that time is required for the MID to start reading the temperature, but I've waited ages with the ignition on the first click. Apparently the temperature is meant to slowly climb from -37 up to ambient temperature, which probably suggests that the MID is calibrating the resistance of the thermocouple probe to the ambient temperature using some kind of scale. My temp isn't moving though.

I know the sensor works because I dipped it in hot and cold water and the resistance across it goes up and down as it should. The circuit is okay too, and the MID is unlikely to be faulty.

Any ideas? I'm guessing I'm not going to get many responses to this...

What I really need to know is, has anyone replaced faulty temperature sensors, and when you did, what exactly happened when you reconnected them?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd like to know this too. I thought it was 35 degrees out all the time until summer hit and I realized it can't be 35 degrees since it's 70 or 80.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realized it can't be 35 degrees since it's 70 or 80.
It's a shame Einstein never possessed your wit...

But in all seriousness, just buy a sensor, and connect it in the holder in the left side brake duct and into the wiring harness and it'll work.

I think the issue with mine is that I retrofitted the whole MID and sensor. I will check tomorrow to see if the sensor is giving a normal reading, apparently they take a while, but I didn't think this long. I'll repost for a bump if it's still shagged.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's a shame Einstein never possessed your wit...

But in all seriousness, just buy a sensor, and connect it in the holder in the left side brake duct and into the wiring harness and it'll work.

I think the issue with mine is that I retrofitted the whole MID and sensor. I will check tomorrow to see if the sensor is giving a normal reading, apparently they take a while, but I didn't think this long. I'll repost for a bump if it's still shagged.
Note that I meant I thought it was 35 degrees when it was really 32, or 30, or 40.

I was saying that when it started to get warm, it was then that I realized the thing was not working.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh yeh I see what you mean.

Ahhh I think I've figured it out. Pin 10 and 12 are swapped on my X1070 plug :mad:

The white/blue chime wire is in pin 12 when it should be in pin 10, so I connected up the temp sensor to pin 10 which was the brown/grey wire. If I swap the temp sensor to the white/blue chime wire that goes into pin 12 it should work. Fingers crossed! Stupid plug doesn't match the bentley diagrams!

Edit:

Hmm no that's not it. I think the plug I have came off a later model and with check control, so the wiring into the pins is all different!

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SOLVED IT, NOW REJOICE WITH ME! :rofl::D

20.5 C degrees out. That's an ice cool 68 F for you Americans.

I had to plug my new temp sensor wire into the empty pin 12 on X1070. For some STUPID reason, the plug isn't wired for a temperature sensor, but I've added a wire to it and now it works. Problem solved, works great, love it :D

If the plug had been wired as per the bentley diagrams, it wouldn't ever have been an issue and would have worked immediately. But just by thinking through everything slowly I managed to figure it out. :bigpimp:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts