BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I bought an '01 530i about 3 months ago. It was a one "owner" lease turn-in. 45,000 miles, in beautiful shape. I had my mechanic check it out thoroughly before I made the deal (he's the #1 guy in the service dept. at our local dealer). He pronounced it in great shape. I did change the 2 pollen filters in the engine bay, as they were full.

I found this forum, and there is a wealth of great info, for which I am thankful. However, many topics on here have got me spooked about this car. I drove a '94 318i for 14 years, put 207,000 miles on it. In that time, I did all the regular maintenance required, such as oil, filters, hoses, belts, brake pads, etc. The ONLY parts that I replaced outside of these regular type items were the voltage regulator, and the battery twice. No power window failures, sunroof failures, no radiator disasters, no engine problems. It still had the original clutch when I sold it to my mechanic. The only bulbs I replaced in 14 years were the 2 front driving light bulbs!

I have to admit that I am leery about this car at this point. I haven't had it long enough to really "know" it at this point, but the amount of problems seem to be kind of crazy.

Have I made a mistake to think I will get the same service life with this car?

Mark

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
You will get the same service out of the car but it has to be maintained---the cooling system is the main thing to watch out for--yours should last towards 100k miles---but if you ever see the needle going to hot the best thing to do is replace the entire cooling system. There are a couple of good write ups on how to do--along with that I would replace the Vanos seals---do a search and you will find many posts on both of the above subjects.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Okay, I bought an '01 530i about 3 months ago. It was a one "owner" lease turn-in. 45,000 miles, in beautiful shape. I had my mechanic check it out thoroughly before I made the deal (he's the #1 guy in the service dept. at our local dealer). He pronounced it in great shape. I did change the 2 pollen filters in the engine bay, as they were full.

I found this forum, and there is a wealth of great info, for which I am thankful. However, many topics on here have got me spooked about this car. I drove a '94 318i for 14 years, put 207,000 miles on it. In that time, I did all the regular maintenance required, such as oil, filters, hoses, belts, brake pads, etc. The ONLY parts that I replaced outside of these regular type items were the voltage regulator, and the battery twice. No power window failures, sunroof failures, no radiator disasters, no engine problems. It still had the original clutch when I sold it to my mechanic. The only bulbs I replaced in 14 years were the 2 front driving light bulbs!

I have to admit that I am leery about this car at this point. I haven't had it long enough to really "know" it at this point, but the amount of problems seem to be kind of crazy.

Have I made a mistake to think I will get the same service life with this car?

Mark
45K miles? It's not even broke in. On one of my 540s, I have almost 180K miles and have yet to have a major issue.

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
BTW, yes there are things that can go wrong. However, you'll rarely find anyone posting that their car is working perfectly.

What I mean is that when someone posts here regarding an issue, it doesn't mean that all 5 series or whatever series have that issue. It just means that their car has an issue and they're looking for someone else that's had the same issue.

Like I said earlier, I have 2 540i bimmers, and they are wonderful, reliable cars. A 530 should even be more reliable if that's possible.

Ask yourself this; when was the last time you saw someone post this topic?

"Hi, just letting you know that my car has 87,000 miles and it has no problems" If it doesn't have issues, it's not recorded. It's just like trying to research on ePinions, 90% of the reports are from people looking for a place to vent.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
well... not going to lie to you. you're at the cusp of things ready to go in the next 10 to 20K miles.

other then the usual 530 issues, you're in good hands.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've had my 2001 530 for almost 4 years. I bought it with 37,000 miles. It has a little over 80,000 miles now.

Last year I replaced the valve cover gasket and the clamps on the power steering reservoir because of leaks. A couple of weeks ago, I had to replace the exhaust camshaft position sensor. Other than that, it's just been the usual wear items like tires and a battery. I do plan to replace the shocks and struts later this year and the cooling system next year.

My guess iw you'll have a couple of years with no issues.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A few months ago, I bought a 2000 323i with 73,000 miles without hesitation. I'm letting one of my salesmen drive the car, and he's put over 10,000 miles on it over the past couple of months. Not even one hiccup in the car!

I feel good enough about the car that I'm going to replace the shocks and struts and get the chips on the front of the car repaired and painted. I expect this car's going to be with me for a while.

The best part is that my salesman's son is a mechanic for a BMW dealership and has offered to service the car for me...charging for parts only.

I may just see how many miles we can put on this car.

Don't worry about the service and reliability of your car...I'll bet things are going to be fine. You're driving a great car from a great car company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1

·
yee!
670 Posts
all cars have problems....but you rarely hear about the good things. well actually, ive never heard someone say "50k miles my radiator is working great!" its more like, "50k and my radiaor busted already, damn BMW radiators :("

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
BTW, yes there are things that can go wrong. However, you'll rarely find anyone posting that their car is working perfectly.

What I mean is that when someone posts here regarding an issue, it doesn't mean that all 5 series or whatever series have that issue. It just means that their car has an issue and they're looking for someone else that's had the same issue.

Like I said earlier, I have 2 540i bimmers, and they are wonderful, reliable cars. A 530 should even be more reliable if that's possible.

"Hi, just letting you know that my car has 87,000 miles and it has no problems" If it doesn't have issues, it's not recorded. It's just like trying to research on ePinions, 90% of the reports are from people looking for a place to vent.
Very well said.

I had an e34 before this that I bought new, drove for almost 9 years and sold with about 135K miles. Nothing major ever went wrong with it and I never worried about it because I really didn't know nearly as much about what I should be worried about. Same with the 3 series I had before that. Then when I got the 540 I found this forum which has been an amazing source of info, but has made me more paranoid about the car in some ways - and more confident in others.

I've always been a big believer in preventive maintenance, but now I'm more aware of the preventive maintenance that should be done and the knowledge I've gained here has led to me doing a lot more of it than I did on the last two - like replacing the cooling system, and doing a transmission fluid flush rather than thinking it really was "lifetime" transmission fluid as the manual says. And after reading about people's cats going bad an learning that cats never go bad on their own, I've already replaced the MAF and will be replacing the pre-cat O2 sensors soon rather than waiting for them to go bad and damaging my cats which would be far more expensive.

So I've put more into this car out of knowledged based paranoia :rofl: , but also feel better knowing I'm on top of what I need to be, and without this site I'd never have known that the OEM O2 sensors and MAF are just Bosch parts in a BMW box that cost half as much if you just buy the Bosch part. I've saved a ton on the preventive maintenance I've done and it will potentially save me even more by not having to replace more expensive parts like the transmission, cats, or even the engine if the cooling system blew. Maybe none of those things would have gone bad because people only post about them when they do, but I still feel better and more confident when I get on the road knowing there's less likelihood they will.

·
L C B
1,283 Posts
I've had my 528i e39 for a good while now and it has some things that need to be fixed. Window regulators, sunroof wont vent anymore. These are both common problems, and my car has over 150k miles on it. Other than that though it has been a great vehicle and has never let me down when I turn that key. I drive it hard and it takes what I dish out and keeps going everyday. I love my e39.

·
I'm otay. You are not.
1,337 Posts

Actually, NNY528i just started a feelgood thread. He's got 135K with no issues other than wear and maintenance items. Someone ought to sticky that thread and put it at the top of the forum page... I'd hate to see the E39 get a bad rep. FTR, I've got about 94K with no kooky stuff (aside from just putting in my 3rd cooling system, but I'm calling that bad karma), but I stay on the preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Actually, NNY528i just started a feelgood thread. He's got 135K with no issues other than wear and maintenance items. Someone ought to sticky that thread and put it at the top of the forum page... I'd hate to see the E39 get a bad rep. FTR, I've got about 94K with no kooky stuff (aside from just putting in my 3rd cooling system, but I'm calling that bad karma), but I stay on the preventative maintenance.
Yeah, I saw that. I've seen a couple of posts like that in the past too. You just don't see many because people don't usually bother to post when everything is fine, but go to any car forum forum and you'll see mostly posts about problems - including the big Lexus forum. Reading their posts you'd think Lexus' must be really unreliable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I guess it's just a matter of luck... I apparently did not get very lucky. I had to replace the drive shaft, steelring wheel column, power steering unit, wheel bearings, brake disks (3 times!!!), and last thursday the turbo blew up on me...

All in all I've had to spend 6000 euros on repairs in one year and three months.

The car is a great drive, but if you're not lucky, then this is the **** you can get yourself into.

On the other hand, I hear lots of stories of happy E39 owners, and I sincerely hope you are part of that (select) group. I've had more than enough of driving replacement cars, so I am seriously considering getting rid of it.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
+1 You're correct.

·
Ivan
686 Posts
you never hear about all the planes that land safely, just about the ones that crash
absolutely!!

how many e39 roll in the usa?,

has somebody really ran some statistics on failures? or main problems?; perhaps the rate of problems is not significant , perhaps it is!!

i.e. if 20 cars out of 100,000 show a similar failure , do we really have a problem?

whenever my plane crashes on landing, i do not think i will survive to tell everyone!

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
One other thing no one's mentioned: This is an enthusiast/hobbyist forum. A lot of the "problems" we talk about here are things that don't really need to be done, but we do because it's not a bad idea, can't hurt anything, and we just like working on our cars. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading everyone's comments, I do feel better about this car. Believe me, I LOVE driving it! I have driven a straight shift car for 33 years-this is my first automatic. It's my first leather seats. Heck, it's my first engine with more than 4 cylinders! It drives so easily, and quietly. Some of that may change when I upgrade tires/wheels, but that's okay. I'm sure I'll do a few more things to "make it mine."

Anyway, I'm glad it's mine, and please don't get too mad at me if I ask some "dumb" questions from time to time.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts