Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 3211 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start. Today I'm tackling...

Oil filter housing gasket
Updating the rattling and squeaking mechanical belt tensioner to the hydraulic version
Air distribution piece cleaning and o-ring replacement

Anyone else have any repairs or modifications they are working on this weekend?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Sorry brandon..must be a quiet day.. I did the fuel door actuator just today!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also found the vacuum cap and lines on the back of the intake mani were crumbling, replaced those as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I started a thread like this a while ago. Don't know what happened to it!! Maybe I'm not cool enough cause I have a 528!!! Anyway, I just replaced the radiator fan and fan clutch, serpentine belt (popped off while sitting in traffic on an icy dc night), idler pulley (reason why the belt ripped to shreds). Tomorrow I'm gona fill it up with gas and take it for a spin. When the belt popped there was a good amount of coolant that leaked out. Drove it around the neighborhood after the repairs and the temp was fine and no coolant leaks!! Don't know where the leak came from but I can't find it now!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just Started the CCV delete. Have been running with catch-can lite, but that freezes here in MN, so I am now going directly from VC to PCV to the air distribution grid on the top of intake manifold.

·
Bimmer Addict
102 Posts
Thermostat, brake fluid flush, and rear brake job this weekend

·
Bimmer ****ie
60 Posts
All I did to mine was fling buffing compound all over the passenger side of it while buffing out a vehicle next to it in the garage. DOH!!! Guess I should have moved it outside. Oh well, I needed a reason to give it a good bath anyhow.

·
Under the lift arms
12,912 Posts
Vacuum lines, power brake vacuum line, Engine De-grease and valve cover gasket set

·
Registered
180 Posts
Replaced drivers side window actuator, Brake fluid flush, Oil Change & fixed that damn water leak coming into my rear drivers side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pulled the pan on my V8. Oh boy, what a pile of chain guide bits including part of the cast alu splash guard that sits below the crank sprocket and above the oil pump sprocket. It has marks from the hit by the chain that snapped it off.
I may get the chain covers off to check out the mess.
I was given the car, I've never heard it run. PO a friend of mine, just put in a $5000 rebuilt tranny, he said he wasn't going to follow that with more money. It was running when parked so I think we know what to expect. As you may expect, since it was free I have the money to do it right.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Man I feel inadequate: I scanned for codes (pending and hard) and fuel trims, looked for leaks (oil and coolant), checked hoses and belts, lock actuator and window motor response times/sensitivity, adequatenes of weather sealing (soft/flexible/etc), tire pressures, and found nothing off or out of spec... Went for a cruise and got about 23 mpg on a stoplighted highway... Been getting 15.5-17 mpg in suburbia driving... So I put TAB on the charger for good measure and called it a weekend check... Maybe tomorrow I can give TAB a bath...

I have a feeling my time will come "soon"...

·
Automotive Hack
177 Posts
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1454216152.566440.jpg

Worked on the front end a little bit. Installed Depos and msport bumper. I just wanted this 540 to look as fun as it drives. Ordered the rear bumper with dual diffuser. In the works: dual exhaust, 1 inch drop, 18's, paint. Also noticed a small seepage by one of the tube clamps on the steering system so I have to fix that tomorrow hopefully it's not a hard fix.

·
Automotive Hack
177 Posts
Changed my 'lifetime' manual transmission and differential fluids at the 'U Fix It' shop- 20 bucks to rent a lift for an hour

Whoa I didn't know there were shops like that. I could really use a lift often. How much do they charge for all day?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
These shops I think are very few and far between, Google 'U Fix It' automotive, a small franchise kinda biz. This shop is in Oceanside, $20/hr and not sure daily rate- need to look at web site. The owner has one full-time and 2 p/t mechanics also....$85/hr. They will install parts you bring if you don't want to DIY. I'm age 64, working standing up beats the heck out of the jackstand route for me
Thanks/Bill

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Just Started the CCV delete. Have been running with catch-can lite, but that freezes here in MN, so I am now going directly from VC to PCV to the air distribution grid on the top of intake manifold.
You really don't need a catch can, a little of condensation will be burned off. I did this on my 330XI.
900 miles later and so far so good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Changed my 'lifetime' manual transmission and differential fluids at the 'U Fix It' shop- 20 bucks to rent a lift for an hour View attachment 548668
Now that's a business we've all been waiting for. I like. Heck, it might be worth the drive from LA to Oceanside. I've got a place to stay in Carlsbad, so it may really work out. Cool. But first I'll check to see if there's a closer location. Good find!

I haven't done anything to my E39 this week, but last week I updated my distribution piece to the two inlet style. I bought the distribution piece used, via Ebay, for under $20. It was in nearly perfect condition. Beats $75 or so. Of course I had to get the "crossover"(?) hose ($20 for Febi-Bilstein) to install on from the nipple on the CCV hose to the firewall side of the distribution piece as well. That part didn't exist before the modification/update. I also changed my throttle gasket and IAV/ICV grommet. Next step, some sort of smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks. Maybe next week. Cheers.

·
Wingnut
3,675 Posts
not a thing...just had knee surgery so outa commission for 6 weeks or so...drat

1 - 20 of 3211 Posts