BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe everybody knew this but I didn't...
So my boat got in Saturday last week. I called this morning (Friday) and found out that my car still has not cleared Customs 6 days later. However there's a group of people on e90post who had regular orders for cars who are picking their vehicles up today and tomorrow. The Customs bottleneck apparently only applies to ED cars. :cry:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
So my boat got in Saturday last week. I called this morning (Friday) and found out that my car still has not cleared Customs 6 days later. However there's a group of people on e90post who had regular orders for cars who are picking their vehicles up today and tomorrow. The Customs bottleneck apparently only applies to ED cars. :cry:
Not sure if you missed this, as it was in a number of posts, but custom ordered cars are pre-cleared by customs at sea. ED cars = private cars, and they get inspected only after being unloaded in port.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if you missed this, as it was in a number of posts, but custom ordered cars are pre-cleared by customs at sea. ED cars = private cars, and they get inspected only after being unloaded in port.

Good luck! :bigpimp:
I hadn't seen that, but of course it's understandable; thank you for posting it. For any of those familiar with Cramerica - I'm in the House of Pain. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
I FEEL YOUR PAIN! :angel: My car has been in Customs since July 30th. :cry:
Mine came off the boat on 7/24 and then spent 9 days in Customs, so if that's indicative you might close to getting out of there. Oh, but then there's the 13 days to get through VPC and another 3 days on the truck to VA. Picking it up in the morning.

Good luck!

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came off the boat on 7/24 and then spent 9 days in Customs, so if that's indicative you might close to getting out of there. Oh, but then there's the 13 days to get through VPC and another 3 days on the truck to VA. Picking it up in the morning.

Good luck!
13 days at the VPC????:yikes: :banghead: :behead: :flush:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Good luck!
Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
So far it looks like this customs delay problem is East Coast related. Could be some type of personnel shortage in the customs department there or the way they have set their priorities since 911.

·
Registered
864 Posts
So far it looks like this customs delay problem is East Coast related. Could be some type of personnel shortage in the customs department there or the way they have set their priorities since 911.
It looks very random. My car hit the port in NJ on 7/30 and cleared customs on 8/2. As of this morning, it had not yet been released to a carrier but the system was showing an ETA at my dealer of tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My ED 335i coupe has been in customs (west coast) since 8/2. Does anyone know if most of the extra time in customs is spent with the car just waiting to be inspected, or is the extra time spent tearing the car apart and slapping it back together? The thought of people who probably don't care much if they damage anything or not, spending days disassembled my nearly $50K car leaves me fuming.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
My ED 335i coupe has been in customs (west coast) since 8/2. Does anyone know if most of the extra time in customs is spent with the car just waiting to be inspected, or is the extra time spent tearing the car apart and slapping it back together? The thought of people who probably don't care much if they damage anything or not, spending days disassembled my nearly $50K car leaves me fuming.
Could be either.

One person reported noticeable wear on seat bolts and other parts indicating the car had been taken apart partially.

BMW is not responsible for this type of damage by the way.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Could be either.

One person reported noticeable wear on seat bolts and other parts indicating the car had been taken apart partially.

BMW is not responsible for this type of damage by the way.
Would not be covered by shipping insurance?

·
Custom User
759 Posts
My car spent a combined 7 weeks total at customs/VPC. Yep, that's seven weeks. :thumbdwn: As of today I still don't have it. So if you get yours sooner than that, I'll consider you a lucky guy.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Would not be covered by shipping insurance?
Possibly. But some insurance polices have exclusions covering actions by a government entity.

Raises an interesting question.

·
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT
1,007 Posts
Pdc 4 U?

I thought you were doing PDC. Why aren't those cars dropped off at the Charleston port? Why are they pulled in NJ and then truck to SC?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts