BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i know,, it has something to do with that damn transmission jolt, but what exactly is it?

i tookmy car in and they just called me and told me my DME unit was shot and it was causing alot of the issues and humming noises coming from the engine..

·
Registered
690 Posts
Digital Motor Electronics (DME).
The comprehensive management system for your engine: Digital Motor Electronics (DME) controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.

By managing key engine functions, Digital Motor Electronics (DME) guarantees optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. Its sensors continually all factors affecting the operation of the engine. The data is then evaluated by a microprocessor and translated into commands for the fuel injection and ignition systems.
The DME system receives up to 1,000 separate items of data input per second, including engine speed, air intake volume, air temperature and density, coolant temperature, throttle position, accelerator position and vehicle speed.
DME verifies all incoming data by comparing it with the reaction of the rest of the system. If a defective sensor delivers unrealistic data, DME replaces this with preset standard values. If a spark plug fails, DME immediately cuts fuel flow to this cylinder in order to prevent engine damage.
DME looks after the electrical power system too, with sensors measuring the charge and condition of the battery as well as current electrical power consumption. By maintaining optimum battery charge levels and thus avoiding flat batteries, it prevents damage to the battery and guarantees maximum battery life, thereby helping to ensure the engine always starts readily.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you,,

i am under warranty, but i am curious, how much is this aprt worth and how much would this repair have costed had i not been under manufacture warranty

Reactions: nicoalika

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts
thank you,,

i am under warranty, but i am curious, how much is this aprt worth and how much would this repair have costed had i not been under manufacture warranty
ask your service advisor what it would cost. i always asked my SA when i had warranty work done. on my 760 i had almost $30,000 worth of warranty work done in 2 years:eeps:

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm still under manufacture warranty. But I would imagine that BMW cpo would also cover this issue

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunny is right. I bought mine in august and I've had over 10 k of work done and my car is an 07 .. I should clarify though, alot of the repairs were small things I probably would have lived with if I had to pay for it out of pocket such as leaking wiper fluid reservoir, vibrating sun roof, dull looming steering wheel, unclear speakers etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Since i bought mine is 06 i have had probably 15-20 k in repairs and i still have warranty so could be more when said and done. But like slick said alot of the stuff i would have lived with but some were major like tranny, amps, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if this part is relevant or not. I drive a 2007 335i 2dr. I just happened to be looking for detail on the part they were fixing & ended up here in the 7 series part of town....

The Service adviser said the part was at least $1200. Not really sure about the price of labor per hour. I think they are in the $200 per hour neighborhood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.