BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
A true sports car for me would be a compromise between a racing spec car and a limited edition car. One that would not compromise comfort to bare minimum, yet have some features to keep me alive. For me, the CSL would be fine, but I would drop the a/c unit on that car, and move to Canada to avoid hot weather. Or a Zanardi NSX wouldn't be too shabby either... only thing I request is airbags, and gauges:thumb:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
What makes a true sports car ?

Post your comments.
Must fit the following criteria:

1) Suspension designed to handle high G forces.

2) Engine designed to push the suspension past its limits.

3) A manual transmission, or a SMG variant.

4) RWD.

5) Balanced Cd and Cg.

6) Weigh less than 3,500 lbs.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Re: What is a true sports car ?

The HACK said:

Must fit the following criteria:

1) Suspension designed to handle high G forces.

2) Engine designed to push the suspension past its limits.

3) A manual transmission, or a SMG variant.

4) RWD.

5) Balanced Cd and Cg.

6) Weigh less than 3,500 lbs.
And NO usable rear seat!!!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a true sports car ?

nate328Ci said:

I suppose we should put 8" drum brakes on the M3 for the "challenge" of dealing with fade :lmao:
Hey don't knock drum brakes. If it's good enough for F1 it's good enough for the rest of us.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Its too bad there are hardly any on the market anymore. But a TRUE sports car is a no-compromise car that is made ONLY as a driving device. Its not a 'daily driver' or a GT cruiser. It gives 1, maybe 2 persons the ability to interface with the road and the driving 'experience' as intimately as possible. It doesn't even necessarily have to haul ass or pull 1.5G.

I think the quasi-race cars of olde (D-type, certain Ferraris, etc.) fall into this category.

The only thing I've seen lately that seems to embody that exactly is the Lotus 340R. The Elise seems to come pretty close.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Kaz said:
Its too bad there are hardly any on the market anymore. But a TRUE sports car is a no-compromise car that is made ONLY as a driving device. Its not a 'daily driver' or a GT cruiser. It gives 1, maybe 2 persons the ability to interface with the road and the driving 'experience' as intimately as possible. It doesn't even necessarily have to haul ass or pull 1.5G.

I think the quasi-race cars of olde (D-type, certain Ferraris, etc.) fall into this category.

The only thing I've seen lately that seems to embody that exactly is the Lotus 340R. The Elise seems to come pretty close.
McLaren F1.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a true sports car ?

The HACK said:

Hey don't knock drum brakes. If it's good enough for F1 it's good enough for the rest of us.
What??? Ok, THAT I didn't know... Any particular reason why they're still using drum brakes?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is a true sports car ?

ALEX325i said:

What??? Ok, THAT I didn't know... Any particular reason why they're still using drum brakes?
Well, their drum brakes look NOTHING like our drum brakes. All I know is it's got something to do with more effective HEATING and COOLING as well as to accomodate the quick wheel change. Since the wheels are mounted on a central hub, the drum design will accomodate a much LARGER drum than will a disc with calipers.

Also, I don't remember where I read/saw this, but supposedly it's a dual system, drum on the outside and disc brake inside the drum brakes or something like that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.