BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to purchase a new set of rims for my 530i sport, I believe it came with a stock set of style 42: 8JX17 ET:20 - 36111094377 rims on all four corners.

What would be the advantage of putting style 42: 9JX17 ET:26 - 36111094378's on the rear? I think this is what 540i's came with didn't they? Advantages:
Wider tires = better traction, better handling
others?

But at what cost...
more wear because of negative camber
cant rotate front to rear so cant get as many miles per set
others?

Thanks.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
Yes, the issues that you name (rotation--though BMW does not recommend rotating tires anyway), slightly higher weight, issue of the spare only matching front or rear, plus some feel there are issues with turn in and understeer. Personally, going from non-stagg 17s to stagg 17s, I am much happier: the car seems to handle better in my opinion. Have not noticed better accleration (well, I have, but that's from a new Vanos, not the tires).

I have not seen any addl wear, though I've only had them on since December and did not drive much over the winter. I did used to rotate my 17s, but I don't put a lot of miles on my car so I don't replace my tires that often anyway.

I think they look much better, if you care about that.

Oh I have 17x8F and 17x9R.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The main reason is for rear traction.

Whether you have staggered setup or not makes no difference with wear. High performance summer tires don't last that long anyway.

I suspect a staggered set up has very little value. In theory you should have better traction, but I doubt anyone would even notice. Not with a tire 1" wider on average.

I suppose staggered set up is a way for BMW to justify the cost of the sport package.

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
I dream of a set of 8" wide style 19s all the way around on my car...daily.

IMHO, for inline cars, the extra traction of a staggered wheel setup isn't all that necessary. It's pretty, but not required for good handling on the lighter cars.

Now for the 540's... it's a different story. They got grunt.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Staggered fitment is *strictly* about The Bling....it actually detracts from performance....it induces more understeer, creates more rolling resistance and unsprung weight right where you need it least. It also eliminates the possibility of rotating your tires. It looks cool, but that`s about it....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Staggered fitment is *strictly* about The Bling....it actually detracts from performance....it induces more understeer, creates more rolling resistance and unsprung weight right where you need it least. It also eliminates the possibility of rotating your tires. It looks cool, but that`s about it....
I'm not sure I want another 1" wider rear setup as winter road grime might now fling up on the side of the car too... I'll have to take a level to the rear tire to fender and see if they would stick out beyond... all makes sense, I'm sure they would look better but for me rotating all four seems practical... hmmm... thanks for the feedback and opinions, helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The staggered rims will cause more understreer (plowing). The 530 sport handles better with non staggered wheels. The handling is a slight understeer. The handling degradation with the staggered rims can be compensated for by installing the M5 rear sway bar.

regards

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
+1 I did that when I had a 530 and it was great. I ran 245/40/18 on that car. I experimented with rotating every 1000 miles, yes, that was pretty frequently. It didn't get me any more mileage so I stopped doing it.

On my E46 I removed my factory staggered setup and went square, four rears. Big improvement as I also lost 8 pounds per corner with lighter wheels. Losing wheel/tire weight is a good way to improve performance, handling, and braking. Adding weight there is what most do and it makes the cars a little more sluggish. My 530 gained weight in the wheels in the name of looks so I took that lesson with me on my E46 and reduced weight there.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Fast Bob

Has obviously never driven a 540 6 speed

·
Registered
442 Posts
it never hurts to have alotta tire up front. The reason some track guys on here run 9.5 inch rims up front is to deal with the understeer thats induced by a skinnier rim.

That said, it wouldnt hurt those guys to run as big a rim in the back as they can, if they have enough power and traction is an issue. I get off on 911's runnin 12 inch rims in the back. No need for em to have that up front.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Enough said....

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Has obviously never driven a 540 6 speed
Sure I have....and I stand by my statement....what makes you think what I said isn`t true?

And a stock 540 ain`t *all that*....my ZHP will run just about neck and neck with one in zero-to-60 and the quarter-mile....

·
Registered
256 Posts
A ton of high performance cars (including the m5) come from the factory staggered.? :eeps:

Also staggered reduces rolling resistance and air resistance by being smaller at the front.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
lol

Sure I have....and I stand by my statement....what makes you think what I said isn`t true?

And a stock 540 ain`t *all that*....my ZHP will run just about neck and neck with one in zero-to-60 and the quarter-mile....
Wheel spin? Turn off the DSC so you can drive, then tell me just how much wheel spin you get. Oh also remove the CDV so it is you shifting...then tell me. Sure if you use all the 'aids' to help drive the car sure, turn it off and you'll find out why you need the extra meat in the ass end of the 540 six speed.

Maybe the BMW engineers were just snoozing when they put bigger tires on the rear of the 540 and the M5...maybe NOT?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Staggered fitment is *strictly* about The Bling....it actually detracts from performance....
To me (and this is just me), that makes no sense.

How can there be any "bling" whatsoever if there is a performance loss?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.