BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone who just started working where I do drives a very nice looking BMW that appears to be an E38 and the badge on the rear is L7. I probably should be asking the 7 series people, but I don't know anyone there.

So, what is special about an L7? Google didn't produce much information. I've never noticed one before.

·
CPR ..
564 Posts
Ive seen that before. It looks like a limo almost, due to it being slightly elongated. I believe it was like the highest type of luxury car that bmw made at that time. My friend saw a few in the Uk last summer and took pics with them- he's a bmw freak as well-. I never seen it in the US though ive seen and L6

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here are some quotes from the E23 and E38 wiki articles:

E23:
The L7 was a more luxurious version of the 735i for the American market only. It featured special leather upholstery with leather dashboard and door padding (rather than wood trim), a power glass Moonroof. and a variety of optional features as standard. All L7 models were built with automatic transmissions and a standard driver's air bag. The L7 was the first BMW sold in North America with a driver's side airbag.

E38:
BMW produced the Stretch Limo L7 after 1997. This car was produced 899 times, and the 750iL was stretched about 10 inches (254 mm). Target markets were the USA, Asia and Arabia.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
I used to have an E23 (Not L7 model), 1983 735i with 5sp MT.
If they still make that car I'd buy it tomorrow.

Fantastic piece of machinery, fun to drive easy to work on.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
It was the precursor to the the long wheel base versions of the 740 (iL, later Li) that became a standard model in the 1990s.

I believe the 750L is a V12.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
The "L" originally signified a "luxury" version of the car. We had L6s here, which was a 635CSi, with real leather everywhere, and an auto trans. There may have been other accoutrements.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
The "L" originally signified a "luxury" version of the car. We had L6s here, which was a 635CSi, with real leather everywhere, and an auto trans. There may have been other accoutrements.
Ah, OK, I stand corrected!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just throwing this out there but talking about rare. The other day i was on the road and out of nowhere comes a 2 door 840i........Never seen one of those before. It was not an L model but being a two door coupe it was LOOOONG. Pretty neat looking to say the least.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah, I realized that I'm in the wrong business awhile back. There is sometimes a beautiful 850ci sitting in front of the Medical Marijuana shop down the street from me. E31 is what they are? They really are sexy cars. There are two others I've seen in town but this one was incredible, black on black.

·
Registered
27,273 Posts
Oh yeah, I realized that I'm in the wrong business awhile back. There is sometimes a beautiful 850ci sitting in front of the Medical Marijuana shop down the street from me. E31 is what they are? They really are sexy cars. There are two others I've seen in town but this one was incredible, black on black.
Nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
The E31: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_8_Series_(E31)

The V12 didn't sell well, because of the price, and the cost of keeping it running. The car had a reputation (earned or not) for being an electronic nightmare, since it had the most electronic content of any contemporary BMW at the time.

They brought out the 840i, with the 4 liter V8, to lower the cost of ownership.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
From Wikipedia:
Stretch Limo L7BMW produced the Stretch Limo L7 after 1997. This car was produced 899 times, and the 750iL was stretched about 10 inches (254 mm). Target markets were the USA, Asia and Arabia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts