BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
That cool an all but I will stick with BMW. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of kinks to be worked out... look at the 7:yikes: :D

·
David
3,549 Posts
I am not looking forward to teaching my grandmother how to use this.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Neat. But I have noticed that my friends who have "touch screen" nav/radio/etc. also have smudged screens with scratches. You don't get that with iDrive.
Gorilla Glass (developed in the early '60s by Corning and sat on the shelf for 40 years) would eliminate scratches.

I remember the 84 Buick Riveria had a CRT (Cathode ray Tube) that controlled many functions just like today's touch screens and idrives et.al. It was soundly criticized as "dangerous" yet today it is the norm. Lexus, to their credid, has avoided IDrive, MMI, Command tupe controls although they do have touch Nav.

I like Caddy of today- truly world class.

The custom guages are an idea I floated to Apple years ago to develop for cars- the repluy was we don't take any outside ideas from anyone, same response by Reebok 25 years ago when I floated my Reebok Helium idea to Reebok (when Nike Air was all the rage)- Jaguar's TFT guages should have done this- finally a car for the 21st century.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Neat. But I have noticed that my friends who have "touch screen" nav/radio/etc. also have smudged screens with scratches. You don't get that with iDrive.
The one in this video has capacitive touch screens just like on new cell phones. These are more resistant to smudges and scratching. I know bmw is working on this technology as well. I still prefer real analog guages though. Either way it's something to look forward to.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
The one in this video has capacitive touch screens just like on new cell phones. These are more resistant to smudges and scratching. I know bmw is working on this technology as well. I still prefer real analog guages though. Either way it's something to look forward to.
would be interesting to know if QNX is involved in BMW's endeavor in this area.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Funny, BMW uses "real analog" gauges (which are electronic) which was my preference. I used to hate digital gauges. I now prefer digital (even over simulated analog). There is a reason F1, Indy Car, LM racers, and nearly all racing series cars use pure digital guages. The only major series using analog gauges is the same series that reuires carbureators- Nascar

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks cool. However, I am not sure how much will be active when the car is in motion.

The lawyers might limit some functions while moving.

It seems it would make financial sense to have a total LED dash in which software is written for low end to high end cars. Might be cheaper in the long run with economies of scale rather than build custom gauge clusters.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not for production: Here is the email reply from Cadillac

Thank you for contacting Cadillac and for your interest in the XTS! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us. We did attempt to contact you by phone but were unable to reach you.

We are happy to see you are excited about the Cadillac XTS as much as we are. The Cadillac XTS is to begin retail production in March 2012. The MSRP of the Cadillac XTS is scheduled to be released in January 2012. General Motors has no plans to place the Cadillac CUE in retail production. At this time it is still a concept. Please be sure to see your local dealership to get the most up to date information.

Did you know the XTS is larger than the CTS! The new XTS delivers the space, elegance and dramatic presence that are Cadillac signatures. It offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 40 inches (1,016 mm) of rear legroom. If you are not currently working with a Cadillac dealership in your area and you would like to locate one, an easy way to do so is by visiting http://www.cadillac.com

At Cadillac, we strive to provide exceptional customer service. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-333-4223, between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. E.S.T., Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. E.S.T., Saturday. Thank you for your business and loyalty with Cadillac!

Sincerely,

The Cadillac Marketing Team
http://www.cadillac.com

You have received this e-mail advertising GM products and services in response to your recent request for vehicle information. Please visit http://www.gmcontactpreferences.com to opt out of receiving future e-mail messages from General Motors.

General Motors Corporation, 100 Renaissance Center, 482-MAR-100, Detroit, MI 48265

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Not for production: Here is the email reply from Cadillac

Thank you for contacting Cadillac and for your interest in the XTS! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us. We did attempt to contact you by phone but were unable to reach you.

We are happy to see you are excited about the Cadillac XTS as much as we are. The Cadillac XTS is to begin retail production in March 2012. The MSRP of the Cadillac XTS is scheduled to be released in January 2012. General Motors has no plans to place the Cadillac CUE in retail production. At this time it is still a concept. Please be sure to see your local dealership to get the most up to date information.

Did you know the XTS is larger than the CTS! The new XTS delivers the space, elegance and dramatic presence that are Cadillac signatures. It offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 40 inches (1,016 mm) of rear legroom. If you are not currently working with a Cadillac dealership in your area and you would like to locate one, an easy way to do so is by visiting http://www.cadillac.com

At Cadillac, we strive to provide exceptional customer service. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-333-4223, between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. E.S.T., Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. E.S.T., Saturday. Thank you for your business and loyalty with Cadillac!

Sincerely,

The Cadillac Marketing Team
http://www.cadillac.com

You have received this e-mail advertising GM products and services in response to your recent request for vehicle information. Please visit http://www.gmcontactpreferences.com to opt out of receiving future e-mail messages from General Motors.

General Motors Corporation, 100 Renaissance Center, 482-MAR-100, Detroit, MI 48265
A concept? It looks ready for primetime.

I wonder if they are using Windows 8 for the O/S since it has touch screen capabilities.

If it is not being released, I bet the lawyers nixed a lot of functionality while in motion. Although it looks cool, it looks rather dangerous to use while driving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.