BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Greg220 said:
Does anybody know what exactly is made of leather in E90? I especially wonder about back of seats and door sides. Is there any vinyl at all if you choose leather option?
I don't think there's any vinyl on the seat but there is a hard plastic seat back. To see what's leather on the door panels look at the configurator picture of Terra leather. There's a small leather panel on each door.

·
---------
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
numbersguy said:
I don't think there's any vinyl on the seat but there is a hard plastic seat back. To see what's leather on the door panels look at the configurator picture of Terra leather. There's a small leather panel on each door.
Until today I thought most of the interior surface that looks like leather is a genuine leather. But I came accross this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91698&
That's why I wondered if it's also a case in E90... It doesn't seem to make much sense paying $1500 to have only seating surface made of leather...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greg220 said:
Until today I thought most of the interior surface that looks like leather is a genuine leather. But I came accross this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91698&
That's why I wondered if it's also a case in E90... It doesn't seem to make much sense paying $1500 to have only seating surface made of leather...
Why would you wat leather on things that exposed to harsh conditions and that your body is not coming in contact with? Not much point in having leather just for the sake of saying i is leather. Steering wheel and seats are most important for comfort and grip. In my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vinyl shrinks over about 10 years of exposure - Leather does not. Therfore after such a time you will get unsightly cracking of the vinyl. It would be scandalous if BMW claim "leather" but put in a mix - at least Mercedes have the decency to call their mix Twin ( leather and vinyl ...well... they actually call it "synthetic leather"). My folks had an old Renault which had the leather/vinyl mix and sure enough after 8 years it started to crack -- it usually does it at the sewing joints where different levels of expansion lead to cracking at the seams.

Can anyone with an E90 confirm if there is any vinyl in their "leather" interior.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Per BMW, if leather is ordered, the entire seat (including sides) are leather. The armrest and door panels are leather, not a combo of leather and leatherette. I contacted BMW USA about this. They could lie about it, but I don't think so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.