BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know i have a 1995 325is..when i press this button a orange triangle shows up on my dash with a arrow going around counterclockwise??can anyone tell me this??

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Welcome to the 'Fest.

You need to go buy an owner's manual since I guess you don't have one. If you already have one, it's pretty plainly answered in there, and you should consult it for any basic questions you have since people on here sometimes make mistakes. Best to here it from the manufacturer.

Anyway, the answer is ASC = Traction Control. When the light is off, it means ASC is active. When the light's on steady, it means your ASC is off, ie, not going to anything. If you're driving and it flashes, it means it kicked in a bit.

An annoying thing about ASC is that it will cut power completely if it senses wheel spin. This can be a major pain sometimes. For example (experience speaking), on that 5ft merge from Treas. Island getting onto the Bay Bridge east, your wheels will spin a bit if you hit the gas trying to get in with the 70MPH traffic in 5 feet. Unfortunately, ASC will cut your throttle. Scared me sh!tless when that happened, as I was moving in front of a Mack truck and watching it barrel down as my car went powerless was not fun.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe its called "Automatic Stability Control" (ASC) or kind of like a Traction Control System . They are designed to enhance operating stability, especially accelerating during cornering . By default the light suppose to go "OFF" shortly after the ignition is switched on.

If the indicator light is:
--> "ON" = "DEACTIVATED"
--> "OFF" = "ACTIVATED"
--> "FLASHES" = "ACTIVELY WORKING"
--> If the indicator light fails to go out after the engine is started or during a normal operation...than this indicate a malfunction.

Hope this help.

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
ASC and traction control are different, even though they share some common ground.

Traction control is more about stopping your wheels from free spinning from too much power, like a reverse anti-lock brake.
Active stability control is more about keeping you pointing the right way when cornering, to help prevent you getting it all out of shape.

Might I suggest a read on Wikipedia or similar.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
From PM - Cuahtemoc1 said:
Hey thank you i really appreciate you welcoming me as well has helping! Not quite the answer though..let me tell you this button i can press it and it stays on like i turned it on! it does flash or light up on turns it just on or off with the button....does it like tighten my suspension or somthing??
Basically, it cuts power. It has a second throttle butterfly valve, and shuts it to cut power. It may apply the rear brakes lightly in some situations. Essentially, it's useless in the Bay Area. Doesn't touch the suspension.

Reread my original post again. I explained all about the lights on and off. Off means you've disactivated the system, so it's just like a car without any traction control. That means it's up to you to keep the car under control.

ASC and traction control are different, even though they share some common ground.

Traction control is more about stopping your wheels from free spinning from too much power, like a reverse anti-lock brake.
Active stability control is more about keeping you pointing the right way when cornering, to help prevent you getting it all out of shape.

That's actually incorrect. DSC is about that. ASC is about removing the power source to help keep you from oversteering and spinning out - primarily designed for wet/snowy/unfavorable conditions. I believe ASC may apply the rear brakes lightly, but not the front. DSC is much more capable.

Basically, ASC is a useless system. If you really need it to keep you from crashing/dying, you shouldn't be driving. The later iterations (DSC) are much better and can truly help you. ASC doesn't, and is just annoying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that button decides how fast you will go through tires. If you push they button and it lights up on the dash, it lets the tires spin because you are turning off traction control. You basically are putting your car into dyno mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ill tell you a little something if you push and hold on that button you will see that yellow light come on and it will flash after about 10 to 30 seconds. This makes it so that you can spin the tires and slide around alittle bit but than tracton control kicks in. It is a happy medium, it will let you roast the tires and slide around corners for alittle bit than it kicks in if you are doing it too long and might lose control. It is better than not being able to spin or slide at all. Plus it is better to have some control when spining the tires so that they dont pop.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Great source.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Chill out dude! No need to pepper spray in the eyes. In case, you don't understand what I've said. I said "its kind of like a TCS" (an example) I did not say they are the same...mind you. I know the difference between ASC & TCS. May I suggest reading the post + fully understand before making a wrong suggestion.

Cheers!
Whoa man.

He just has a direct style. No harm done, Tub.

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
Not sure what's going on here, but I was replying to other thread. No direct attention to jason_recliner's post.

Cheers!
I didn't actually see it before it was pulled. Didn't mean to pepper you and I apologise if I wrote in a way that you felt that.

Around here every manufacturer has their own term as they try to flog their own xSC.
We get bombarded with ads for Active, Dynamic, Electronic, Computerised, et al from every maker.
I'm waiting for the Stability Control Meister 5000 to rear its ugly head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
[QUOTE=jason_recliner; Didn't mean to pepper you and I apologise if I wrote in a way that you felt that.

Same here man...no hard feelings. I was replying to a PM at the same with this subject and pasted the wrong reply to your quote.:eeps: Tried to pull back, but someone beat me to quote my reply.

Cheers!

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Same here man...no hard feelings. I was replying to a PM at the same with this subject and pasted the wrong reply to your quote.:eeps: Tried to pull back, but someone beat me to quote my reply.
Cheers!
:p

JP. Glad to see everything's all lovey dovey now......:rofl:

(We like to have a bit of fun here, too, if ya haven't noticed).

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,469 Posts
Well, it would make more sense if it didn't say "DSC OFF" on it, since E36s don't have DSC (they have ASC-T). No idea on where you can get the shirt.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts