Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone can recommend the best code reader/engine diagnostic tool for a 1994 840ci. I need to stop just replacing stuff and find out what the ECU is trying to tell me. There are so many of these for sale, I hoped you guys could help me narrow down the list to a few of the best for this car. I already have a reset tool which is useless except for the oil change light. It resets the BMW version of the "check engine" light but I don't need it reset. I want it to spill it's guts in English not codes if possible,. Although I can look up the codes, it would be nice if that feature was built-in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
diagnostic setup

I have a complete setup.
(1) ADS: 1995 and older,OBD 1995 to 2002,+D/K Can.
(2) Dealer tools: BMW DISv44, BMW DISv57, BMW SSS/Progmanv32
(3) Factory tools: INPA 3.01, INPA 5.02, NCS 3.1.0, WinKFP, ToolSet32

Plus many additional tools such as service manual and wiring diagrams.

All these plus the interface connectors to your car .... installed on a laptop computer
and ready to go.

You could run a BMW repair shop with these :).

Not cheap, but all you will ever need .... and then some.

e mail me ..... [email protected]

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
I have a complete setup.
(1) ADS: 1995 and older,OBD 1995 to 2002,+D/K Can.
(2) Dealer tools: BMW DISv44, BMW DISv57, BMW SSS/Progmanv32
(3) Factory tools: INPA 3.01, INPA 5.02, NCS 3.1.0, WinKFP, ToolSet32

Plus many additional tools such as service manual and wiring diagrams.

All these plus the interface connectors to your car .... installed on a laptop computer
and ready to go.

You could run a BMW repair shop with these :).

Not cheap, but all you will ever need .... and then some.

e mail me ..... [email protected]
Hi Ed. Zach from Bimmer Forums. I just sent you a PM regarding this set up.

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
I was just curious if anyone can recommend the best code reader/engine diagnostic tool for a 1994 840ci. I need to stop just replacing stuff and find out what the ECU is trying to tell me. There are so many of these for sale, I hoped you guys could help me narrow down the list to a few of the best for this car. I already have a reset tool which is useless except for the oil change light. It resets the BMW version of the "check engine" light but I don't need it reset. I want it to spill it's guts in English not codes if possible,. Although I can look up the codes, it would be nice if that feature was built-in.
This is a challenging question to answer without knowing your budget. Tools can be had anywhere from $20 - $1,000+. Do you need to do any coding or do you just want to know what the error codes are?

Narrow it down for us and we can get you some specific recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re cerror code readers string.

I have an e31 840 4.4 v8 which i lov. The error code of "trans prog fail safe" i am unsure what this could be but if a reader cld help it would be great. Shes been off the road too long. I want to get her back on the road as that is where she belongs. I dont think there are many if any in scotland especially up here in the highlands. Please could anyone assist.

Kind regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts