BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, I am looking to buy an used F10 535 with M package, which I am planning to keep for at least 7 years or longer. I toyed with the notion of leasing, but what I discovered is that I am not a leasing guy. I dont care about getting the newest model every 3-5 years; and I hate the limitations (miles, body care etc). I just want to own the car and drive it for a long time or until the wheels come off.

Is there any year that I should steer away from in the F10's? I know that first model year is not recommended. I was thinking about getting a 2012 or 2013 CPO. I am hoping to hear from current owners that bought (instead of leased) their car and share your experience in terms of repairs etc.

Thanks in advance,

·
BMW aficionado
686 Posts
2013+ models are your best bet. Stay away from 550i if long term reliability is a concern.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Agree, stay away from the 550. 2013+ 535 is probably your best bet for performance and reliability. Do you homework on the car you pick out.

If you go for a 550, it has to be a 2014 model.....the N63 engine is having a lot of problem. In 14, BMW switched to the N63TU for the 550.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. I am getting the 535i with M sport package. I have seen the issues with the 550 and also I dont need that much power LOL. I am currently leaning towards the 2013, although there are some cosmetic changes on the 2014 that attract me. But then again, the 13 is going to give me more bang for my money.

I was also considering getting the xdrive, but I have been driving for more than 19 years in the North East cost (NY, NJ, CT), and I think I will do without it. A nice winter tires will get me through the few times that I will take it to bad snow conditions anyways plus an additional beat up car that I have for extreme conditions. I have read some members here that got the xdrive because of the "better steering", is it something to consider for those of you who have it? I have not test driven the xdrive yet, just the regular i with M package.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The xdrive has hydraulic steering while the RWD has electric steering, there is a difference in the on center feel, the hydraulic steering feels more stable at high speed, but you should really test both and decide for yourself. The RWD MSport also come standard with the 704 sport suspension while the MSport Xdrive come with the standard suspension, the 704 suspension is a few mm lower, there is an optional adjustable suspension on the Xdrive. Most people do not get the xdrive for the hydraulic steering, they get it for the traction and the convenience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Funny thing is that I have had way more problems with my 2012 535 as I currently have with my 2011 550. BMW is doing what they can to correct the issues with the N63 motors and mine actually went through the BMC CCP for this reason. I have not experienced any issues with the car as of yet.

Only thing I would recommend is changing the oil every 5k miles. May seem excessive to some but the recommended oil change schedule is way to much.

·
BMW Snow Plow User
2,233 Posts
One thing I recommend is that you test drive one without and one with DHP (I assume you don't have a F10 yet).

One drawback of the F10 for a few people is the handling and a bit of "boatieness". Not everybody feels that way but it would be bad if you did and it wrecks your long-term plan. The DHP includes active roll stabilization which keeps the car upright on course corrections. I think you will not regret testing it so that you know whether your require it or not.

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
1,702 Posts
I'd target a loaded 2013 535 that should be in a financial "sweet spot" compared to newer cars and have many of the earlier model bugs worked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Test drove 535 xdrive today

I just came back from a long test drive of a CPO 2013 535x drive (M package) and I absolutely loved it. I did not feel so much difference in the steering as i test drove the non-x drive last week and perhaps did not notice so much of a difference. I took the car to a main street but not highway.

One thing I noticed is that (I guess the 5's sold a lot), there are many CPOs and non CPOs to pick from. I found a fully loaded 2013 xdrive for $40k CPO and 28k miles. then an independent dealer has one for $36k but with 56k miles and no CPO. Is there a sweet spot for mileage? I realize that lower the mileage of course, the "newer the engine", however, I put a lot of mileage in my cars but I baby them. I have friends whose cars are far more beat up than mine with far less mileage. So it all depends on the owner or ex-owner.

Man, so many options, I am like a kid in a candy store. I think I can def get a 2013 with decent mileage at around $38k if I pushed hard.

Thank you all for your input and please continue to chime in as I will be test driving others in the next week or so.

·
Registered
999 Posts
2013+ models are your best bet. Stay away from 550i if long term reliability is a concern.
Big, big vote for 2013 - especially N55 cars. My 2011 was a disaster in comparison.

- No HPFP issues
- Tires solid (RFT no issues)
- No steering/drifting issues
- Suspension sorted out (especially M-sport 704 suspension)
- iDrive superb (version has carried all the way to 2015/prior to new 7-series)
- Audio great (HK and B&O) otherwise crappy base system but liveable

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you decide?

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am not following all of the proper protocol. Elmatatan - I am curious to hear what your final decision was. I am looking at the used F10s now and making a similar decision. Time to upgrade my 2001 530i (e39) 5spd manual.

·
Chitown traveller
483 Posts
I just bought my car of lease, a 2013 535ix w 14K mi.

I've shown below consumer reports ratings for reliability for each year model according to CR data. '13 and '14 stand out. But keep in mind that despite the LCI model years ('14 and after) have a lot of minor improvements, you will pay a premium for them and IMO the base headlights and side markers (now a cheap plastic band-aid) are a step down from the PRE-LCI F10s.

Happy Shopping...:drive:

From CR....(was a real PITA to line up correctly)

Reliability History - BMW 5 Series
legend
Trouble spots by year-------11 12 13 14 15
Engine Major-----------------2--3--5--5--5
Engine Cooling---------------3--4--5--5--5
Transmission Major----------5--5--5--5--5
Transmission Minor----------4--5--5--5--5
Drive System----------------3--4--5--5--4
Fuel System-----------------3--4--5--4--4
Engine Minor----------------1--3--4--5--5
Electrical System------------1--5--5--5--5
Used Car Prediction---------1--2--3--3--1

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the your alignment

kk22 - thanks so much for that information, and THANK YOU for taking the time to align, i have been there. Once you start, you figure, I might as well finish it, right? My first post and I already love the community. Cheers: :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
BMW CR Stats

I've shown below consumer reports ratings for reliability for each year model according to CR data. '13 and '14 stand out. But keep in mind that despite the LCI model years ('14 and after) have a lot of minor improvements, you will pay a premium for them and IMO the base headlights and side markers (now a cheap plastic band-aid) are a step down from the PRE-LCI F10s.

Happy Shopping...:drive:

From CR....(was a real PITA to line up correctly)

Reliability History - BMW 5 Series
legend
Trouble spots by year-------11 12 13 14 15
Engine Major-----------------2--3--5--5--5
Engine Cooling---------------3--4--5--5--5
Transmission Major----------5--5--5--5--5
Transmission Minor----------4--5--5--5--5
Drive System----------------3--4--5--5--4
Fuel System-----------------3--4--5--4--4
Engine Minor----------------1--3--4--5--5
Electrical System------------1--5--5--5--5
Used Car Prediction---------1--2--3--3--1
For openers I don't hold CR as the guide of guides - but that's another story. Here's their most recent survey results (downloaded today)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.