BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the states, 93 octane?

I always fill my car with that, just want to know what's the best :) And of course, if you have resources to prove your theory I'd appreciate it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: What is the best gasoline anyways....

operknockity said:

Granted I haven't looked in all the little nooks and crannies of every gas station in the state, but the highest I've found in SoCal is 91 octane.
There's a 76 station near the on-ramp of 110 in So. Pasadena that sells 100 octane racing fuel for about $4.99/ga. There's another 76 near LAX that sells that stuff too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gas is gas....

(First let me say this... My family is in the fuel business in California doing both retail and wholesale. We have branded and unbranded (independent) retail stations as well as delivery trucks that work the wholesale end of things. I guess I'm the rebel as I went to college and got an Engineering degree and now build airplanes for a little company in Seattle... :) I still keep my hand in the business and attend trade shows and the like as the 'Tech Guy' - hey, at least it gets me a trip to Reno every so often ... :bigpimp: )

Ok...

There are only a handful of things that make any difference (for me anyway) on the quality of what I put in my tank.

1- Octane. If your car is supposed to use 87, then use 87. It it says 91, then use 91. If you 'need' to use a higher rated fuel that what is specified, then there is something else going on. Obviously, engine mods or the like can change what you 'need' so to speak :angel:

2- Branded vs non-Branded. There is exceedingly little difference within branded fuels (of a given octane). They all have nearly the same additives as each other. And all the non-branded (including ARCO) have just slightly different additives to boot. These non-branded fuels have (what I'd say) is a very adequate additive system. Granted, there are differences, but... you pay for it ;) Hey- Our trucks get branded and non-branded fuel out of the same hoses at the same pipelines... They only 'difference' is right at the end when the additive package is inserted into the flow.

3- Cleanliness... If I'm going into a station and I see a truck delivering product, I'll pass on by. Also - When I'm home, I frequent stations that I know have had new tanks installed recently. Doing both these things reduces any debris in the main tank from getting into my tank. Granted- there are filters on the dispensers, but... they often are clogged and are on bypass... This issue is becoming less of an issue as there are more and more new tanks installed compliments of the EPA and Stage III vapor recovery... (the smog nozzles we all know and love...)

So... what do I do...???
I get the cheapest gas of a given octane at the 'cleanest' station I can regardless of brand.

And what I just said was money out of my pocket as we have higher margins on the branded stores... :banghead: I'm glad my family doesn't visit here.... :D

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Since every part of the country has different regulations for gas formulations, and the source crude comes from different places, a good brand in one place may suck in another. And in many areas the 'formula' changes seasonally

Try all locally available brands, 2 or 3 tanks at a time, and see what the car likes.

I mentioned this earlier today but I've had to recently change one of my preferred brands due to an oxygenate change.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Yeah...76 stations in So. Cal started advertising "no MTBE" so I've been getting my gas at a local Unical station.

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
Plaz said:
L.A. Area 76 Stations with 100 octane:
that list isn't complete.. there's at least one right around where i live not on that list..

race gas is a waste unless you're boosting like 30 psi... :bigpimp:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:
Yeah...76 stations in So. Cal started advertising "no MTBE" so I've been getting my gas at a local Unical station.
But this is why I had to change my 2nd choice gas from 76 to Mobil. 76 with ethanol dropped my fuel economy by ~15% and dropped off some top end power. Their MTBE formula didn't have this problem. At first I thought I just got a bad tankful so I went for 3 tanks and a month on 76 from different places and the problems never went away. I switched back to Chevron before the DV trip and it all went away.

And Shell/Texaco always gave me major throttle lag at tip-in so they're off the list.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I usually stick with Chevron, and Mobil sometimes. I've always used Chevron gas, and I've never had any problems. I'll never go to Arco or Texaco, despite what lip277 said, its just a habit.

-Faheem

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Plaz and The HACK said:
76 Stations with 100 octane racing fuel
OK. Except for racing fuel, there are no stations that sell standard auto fuel with octane greater than 91 in SoCal.
Ack said:
Does anyone only use the recommended 91 octane all of the time?
I do, but only cause the best we can get is 91, other than the racing fuel which I can't see using in a car that is mostly my daily commute and hasn't even been tracked yet. Perhaps if I had a mostly track car that I had to use around town every so often....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here in the NY/NJ/CT tristate area we have Hess, which used to be a no-frills, cash only, walk up to the bulletproof plexiglas booth kinda gas retailer. Now Hess has food marts, credit, even fast food ::sigh:: and the pricing shows. I even miss the gas station smell, which is rapidly disappearing (clean air pumps!)

Being exceedingly cheap about everything, I tend to pay meticulous attention to local gas prices to find the ultimate cheapest gas at 91 or 93. This is of course from the same man who's addicted to buying stuff at thrift stores.

·
10,856 Posts
Last time I used Hess, my car ran like shit. :p

I'm generally fine with Exxon, Mobil, Chevron, Sunoco and Shell 93. When it gets really hot, I put in Sunoco 94. At least 85 degrees, generally higher. Outside of that, it doesn't make any difference.

My car didn't like Amoco, either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was under the impression that most racing fuels are leaded (hence the high octane rating). A few local stations here on Long Island have had very high octane fuels, but the pumps are either rusting or gone. I'm suprised they can make unleaded with such high octane. Isn't lead illegal in the US now?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use Sunoco 94 frequently. I only notice a difference using this octane at high revs, where the engine seems a bit smoother and more responsive. Interestingly, around town, a slightly lower octane seems to have more umph under hard acceleration. But the difference is really marginal. Only nuts like us would notice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.