BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is the difference btw a e46 318i and 325i??

9116 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  N18ht
I have looked at the pics of both a 325i and it looks identical to my 318i. What are the differences between these cars? Is there a relationship between the numbering and the engine fuel capacity?
Reactions: majidahangary79
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
318i had an inline 4 1.9L engine up to 2001, 2.0L engine from 2002 on.
325i has an inline 6 2.5L engine.
Thanks for the replies. I guess the 325 has more power than the 318? Apart from hp difference, is there any particular advantage to the 325?
Yeah....one is a FOUR cylinder, one is a SIX cylinder....the six is MUCH smoother and effortless compared to the 4-banger....
Thanks for the replies. I guess the 325 has more power than the 318? Apart from hp difference, is there any particular advantage to the 325?
G
Yeah....one is a FOUR cylinder, one is a SIX cylinder....the six is MUCH smoother and effortless compared to the 4-banger....
Yeah we know the 318 I is a 4 banger but it's powerful enough. Is there any other difference in chasis as I would like to upgrade my bimmer to a 6 inline 2.2l engine and it requires New wiring . The chasis is the same or different

Thank you
Body is same, but switching from 4-cylinder to 6-cylinder requires changing half of the electric system and drivetrain and brakes. They are different engine families so nothing fits as it is.
Thanks for the reply will think of upgrading and cost
ASIDE FROM THE DIFFERENCE IN INLINE AND ENGINE DISPLACEMENT, IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE IN THE ENGINE? SPECIFICALLY THE ENGINE OIL CAPACITY AND ENGINE OIL FILTER?
Yes, bigger engine needs more motor oil. About filter I wouldn't be sure because I don't have both. Using same filter would be possible, if design engineer decided to use same, but I don't know for sure.
ASIDE FROM THE DIFFERENCE IN INLINE AND ENGINE DISPLACEMENT, IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE IN THE ENGINE? SPECIFICALLY THE ENGINE OIL CAPACITY AND ENGINE OIL FILTER?
Can anyone one tell me what is the difference between a 318 I study and a325 strut they look the same
I have looked at the pics of both a 325i and it looks identical to my 318i. What are the differences between these cars? Is there a relationship between the numbering and the engine fuel capacity?
I think struts should be same, no matter which engine there is. Question is if you have standard suspension, or lower sport suspension, there can be difference between those.
Do you know if the transmission is the same? I have an 318i 2001 and I'm about to buy a clutch kit do a 2001 325i, will it fit?
318i had an inline 4 1.9L engine up to 2001, 2.0L engine from 2002 on.
325i has an inline 6 2.5L engine.
Look on eBay for a company called "Gripforce"....they list replacement clutches for most BMW models. Compare part numbers to see what`s compatible with your needs.
Do you know if the transmission is the same? I have an 318i 2001 and I'm about to buy a clutch kit do a 2001 325i, will it fit?
Reactions: Julitrox
I have a 318i and the engine oil has a milk color. I'm thinking worst case senario i would upgrade to a 325i engine or a 330i. Will the M54 engine fit with my 2002 318i manual 5 speed and clutch? Do i need to upgrade anything else like the ECU for example?
If you have any suggestions for the milk colored oil please comment. (I recently purchased the car but i got it for a good deal, I didnt diagonose the problem yet)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts