Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys monitoring your CPU temperature ?

My P IV-2.0Ghz is running at about 112-114°F. System Temp is at 96°F

Is it OK ?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
This is different for different CPUs but that seems reasonable. My AthlonXP1600+ runs at 50C and the motherboard reports around 37C. I don't game or do anything too intensive so I don't see the temp go up by more than 1 or 2C.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
My Athlon XP2000+ usually runs at ~90-100°F, and spikes up to 115°F durring gaming. My system temp is normaly ~80°F.

I do have a well ventilated aluminum case with a monster Alpha HSF on my CPU though, so I'm not representative of the norm. I used 3 80mm 28db fans at ~20cfm, so everything is pretty quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as a large tier OEM machine. (Which are almost completely silent, but run hot.)

I used to have 36db fans running 27cfm, but the noise got really annoying. My CPU was down to 80°F, but wasn't worth the headache. :banghead:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I want my machine to run as OEM-quiet as possible, though so far its not quite there. I swapped the OEM AMD HSF with a PCP&C unit which made a huge difference. A 90mm Silencer in the fan space under the PS seems to help keep the Enermax dual-fan from running both fans at a higher speed.

I think the problem now is that the fan on the Northbridge is getting noisy. :thumbdwn: ASUS changed it to a passive heatsink on the followup model so I may do the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts