BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than to start and stop the car of course...I mean does BMW think it is time saving?
i still think its easier and faster to put the key in the ignition and turn it, as it is now, you have to insert the fob in the slot, then press the start button, which means you do double the work(exaggeratig a bit) but i fail to see the convenience of this new gadget. Now if somehow one could just press the button and start the car without having to insert the FOB in the slot, now that would be convenient...maybe when you unlock the car with the fob the car would recognize the signal and then all one would have to do is just press the start button....anyways thought i vent for a bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Because when you get the comfort access option, you don't have to take the key out of your pocket to unlock, start, or lock the car. You press the button on the door handle, get in, press the start button.

·
Registered
548 Posts
it is just the interim step- till they implant a chip in your hand with a new car purchase so that keys will go the way of the Dinosaurs.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
king of trolls said:
other than to start and stop the car of course...I mean does BMW think it is time saving?
i still think its easier and faster to put the key in the ignition and turn it, as it is now, you have to insert the fob in the slot, then press the start button, which means you do double the work(exaggeratig a bit) but i fail to see the convenience of this new gadget. Now if somehow one could just press the button and start the car without having to insert the FOB in the slot, now that would be convenient...maybe when you unlock the car with the fob the car would recognize the signal and then all one would have to do is just press the start button....anyways thought i vent for a bit.
Done. It's called the Confort Access option.
The purpose of the button is so they can charge you an extra $500.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
It's more Lexus and less BMW.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To be honest, I Hate driving with ANYTHING in my pockets...everytime i get into the car, cell phone and wallet come out...it bugs the crap out of me...although, i hage the sound of the keys when you go over a bump....

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Alan Flanary said:
I have to agree that without the Comfort Access option (who makes up these names?) the button is pretty dumb.
I agree... "Comfort Access" sounds dirty :yikes:

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
My take is that it reduces manufacturing complexity. Why build a mechanism into the steering column which has to be individualized to every car (i.e., the key and lock), when it can be accomplished wirelessly and electronically. Makes sense, no?

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Tangent said:
Lol, does it mean they use lube when they tell you the financing terms they worked out for you? :p
:rofl: ... and it implies that NOT getting it would be what?

discomfort access?
forced access?
surpise access?

old fashioned access?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cowboy Bebop said:
it is just the interim step- till they implant a chip in your hand with a new car purchase so that keys will go the way of the Dinosaurs.
Forget that. Then some goon will lop off your hand with a machete.

·
Registered
548 Posts
FenPhen said:
Forget that. Then some goon will lop off your hand with a machete.
won't work, the chip is powered by the small electrical current running through the muscle tissue... once seperated from the body the chip would be useless.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Although with some cars that already have that option (Comfort Access) there is a problem.

You get out, and lock the door, walk away. Cn't remebmer if you turned lights off. You walk back adn look. You get too close to the car, and it auto unlocks. Since you didn't do anything to unlock it, you brain doesn't register that unlock adn you walk away, leaving the car unlocked.

I wonder how they deal with the mandatory steering wheel lock? Anotehr electro mechanical device to fail?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it is gimmick that supposed to make one think they're in a racing car. All the cool old sports cars started with a button, and I believe Honda with the S2000 started this nonsense.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Pinecone said:
You get too close to the car, and it auto unlocks.
You have to touch the door handle to unlock/lock. Proximity does nada.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
IMHO, it's there because the 6 & 7 series have it. Maximize reuse among models.

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
This is part of the New World Order...a part of the Illuminati conspiracy...er, I meant that the automakers, in general, are going this route. :p

A friend of mine just traded in his 2002 C5 Corvette for a C6, and he has one of these newfangled fobs - he never takes it out of his pocket, and it seems to be proximity-activated. The man was forever losing his keys, so he really likes this feature, for some reason (maybe he thinks it's easier to keep track of the fob? :dunno: )

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
king of trolls said:
Were you bad at math in the skool ? :p

How come you do the double the work with the fob ?

Move 1) Insert Fob
Move 2) Press button

Move 1) Insert key
Move 2) Turn key

·
Registered
548 Posts
richard said:
I think it is gimmick that supposed to make one think they're in a racing car. All the cool old sports cars started with a button, and I believe Honda with the S2000 started this nonsense.
LOL, resurrected maybe, but almost every car built used to have a push button starter, some well into the 1940's... hell, I even drove a few growing up! :bawling:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts