BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
if I almost never parallel park?

The "Gee Whiz" factor wears off quickly... Am I missing the point for having these cameras?
if you don't parallel park you can still use the cameras to protect your rims and for tight spots in parking lots. i think, of all the features i chose for the f10, it was the most surprisingly awesome, would recommend

·
Compulsive Money Spender
80 Posts
I parallel park on a daily basis and the top view makes it really easily. I have almost become reliant on them which is a terrible thing. Now, when I get into my other vehicles and try to parallel park, I get really nervous when it was a breeze before.

The sideview cameras is great for small streets where you can't see oncoming blind traffic at an intersection. Instead of peeking your car out to see if it is safe to go, I just turn on my side cameras and they do the work for me safely.

·
535i M-Sport ED May 2011
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The sideview cameras is great for small streets where you can't see oncoming blind traffic at an intersection. Instead of peeking your car out to see if it is safe to go, I just turn on my side cameras and they do the work for me safely.
So where is the side camera(s) located? Is it close enough to the front of the car to see left or right at an intersection? I also thought they looked "down", not "horizontally"?

Can someone explain just what they show? Is "top" different that just "sides + rear"?

Obviously I am confused and BMW's description doesn't help! :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I rarely parallel park, but when I do that's the likely time for me to scratch my rims. That said, it doesn't help with parking at night.

The peaking around the corner function is fun, but I will need some time to get used to it before I pull out in traffic based on the system alone.

·
Compulsive Money Spender
80 Posts
The side view cameras are located on the sides of the front fender/bumper area to see the left and right of the intersection.

The top view cameras are located on the side view mirrors to see anything next to the sides of the car like the lines in a parking lot, the curb ect...

The rear view camera is located where a car would have a key hole,near the license plate frame.

So you have a total of 5 cameras.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I find the front cameras useful for pulling into a "front end" parking space. You can see where you are relative to the concrete bumper stop or the curb and avoid scraping the car bumper or sticking out too far in back. Yellow lines appear in the video to show where your front end is. I also find it useful when pulling out of my driveway since the street view to one side is blocked by vegetation.

The rear view camera along with the rear view mirror and/or the top view camera are pretty useful for parallel parking.

·
356 Posts
I use the top view when parking almost anywhere when you are unsure if you are centered and straight with the lines. This doesn't mean I acan't park without them, it just makes it easier those times when you pull into a spot and you can't a get view of the lines without opening your door and looking down.

There are other cameras on the car depending on other options:

1) windshield behind rearview mirror for lane depart camera (used to read speed signs in other locations) (I also believe this location is used for the night vision camera);
2) front bumper for active cruise control (and collision avoidance).

Bill

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I think this is a must have feature. BMW is also the only car manufacturer to have this technology in a sedan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.