BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to figure out what this clunk is...

What i replaced so far: Struts, All bump stops, lower control arms (thrust and the other one), stabilizer link (sway bar link?), brake pads and rotors...

It sounds like something is very loose... No shaking or vibrating or pulling on normal highway speeds. Cobble stone streets like this one in the video replicate the clunk the most. I couldn't replicate the sound while the car was jacked up... Help!

https://youtu.be/lv4lylCPbXQ

·
What was that?
912 Posts
My strut bushings did a similar noise to what i hear from inside the car. When you record from outside, the sound is harder to distinguish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hard to tell but have you ever replaced your swaybar drop links? Just did ours at 70k. Clunk was quite irritating.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
I fcuking hate chasing suspension noises...

sway bar links would be first.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts

Struts, bump stops, lower control arms (thrust and the other one), stabilizer link (sway bar link?), brake pads and rotors...

It sounds like something is very loose... No shaking or vibrating or pulling on normal highway speeds. Cobble stone streets like this one in the video replicate the clunk the most. I couldn't replicate the sound while the car was jacked up... Help!

https://youtu.be/lv4lylCPbXQ
does this mean YOU ALREADY REPLACED THOSE ITEMS?????

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoot me. Looks like that part got deleted...yes, those parts have been replaced...

·
Registered
256 Posts

Struts, bump stops, lower control arms (thrust and the other one), stabilizer link (sway bar link?), brake pads and rotors...

Take a look at the top of your Struts in the engine bay; see if there are browny dust looking particles (like Bread crumbs) there.

I had similar clunky noise when my Strut Cushions / Bump Stops went bad.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at the top of your Struts in the engine bay; see if there are browny dust looking particles (like Bread crumbs) there.

I had similar clunky noise when my Strut Cushions / Bump Stops went bad.
I've replaced those already

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there any change in sound or intensity of the clunk if the brake pedal is partially depressed while in motion? Just trying to rule out loose Brake Caliper components.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Is it possible that this is not suspension related and that it is something bouncing around under the microfilmer covers? Grates there are big enough to let a bolt in. I have found nuts and small caps in there. I would think it could sound similar. It is metal down there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any change in sound or intensity of the clunk if the brake pedal is partially depressed while in motion? Just trying to rule out loose Brake Caliper components.
That was my first thought...My rotors were causing a little vibration at high speed braking, so ended up changing them and checking out if the calipers were loose. Buy they're not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it possible that this is not suspension related and that it is something bouncing around under the microfilmer covers? Grates there are big enough to let a bolt in. I have found nuts and small caps in there. I would think it could sound similar. It is metal down there.
What are microfilmer covers? I doubt it's a bolt, sounds something bigger. If it's a tool left somewhere, the sound would be moving around and not constantly the same...

I wish it was that easy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
did you rebuild the strut, all new rubber? or just a new damper?

It doesnt sound like underhood plastic. The brake backing plate is lite guage, it would be tinnier.....IMO

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did you rebuild the strut, all new rubber? or just a new damper?

It doesnt sound like underhood plastic. The brake backing plate is lite guage, it would be tinnier.....IMO
replaced with brand new Sachs struts using all new BMW bump stops ( those yellow things). It sounds like a loose caliper, but I've triple checked that already...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,887 Posts
replaced with brand new Sachs struts using all new BMW bump stops ( those yellow things). It sounds like a loose caliper, but I've triple checked that already...
The "strut" is the whole assembly.

"bumo stops" are almost NEVER 'used'.

There are maybe 6-8 OTHER parts in a strut besides the damper part....

Youve carefully looked at the left strut for cracks, looseness, misplaced rubber spring seats, etc? And the top 3 bolts are tight holdig it to the strut tower?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts