BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is this engine part? (Getting to know my M54 engine bay)

203376 Views 144 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Dynamic Entry
Over time, I've come to know (by necessity) almost every large item in the M54 engine bay ... but some items still are unknown to me ...

What is this engine part?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
ooooh- a pop quiz!

Over time, I've come to know (by necessity) almost every large item in the M54 engine bay ... but some items still are unknown to me ...

What is this engine part?

emissions valve, opens at cold start to allow secondary air pump to pump air into the exhaust to light the cats.

intake DISA valve

heater valve for the dual HVAC system

VANOS solenoid/ VANOS adjustment unit

hose to CCV from valve cover

that is simply an electrical connector you have circled, unless my eyes are missing something

The "box" with all the brown wires is a common chassis ground for several things.

that would be the high side.
I wipe mine down with a damp cloth, that is about it. I don't do that often either. I've never been one to detail an engine, I just don't have the time or energy to devote to it.
Part at left is just a grounding block, or a nice way to ground a lot of wires as far as I know. Note all the wires going to it are brown. Brown = chassis ground.

The circled part on the right is the expansion tank bleeder screw.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.