BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What is this engine part? (Getting to know my M54 engine bay)

203370 Views 144 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Dynamic Entry
Over time, I've come to know (by necessity) almost every large item in the M54 engine bay ... but some items still are unknown to me ...

What is this engine part?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 145 Posts
I mix up a bucket with very warm water and Dawn dish soap, Wet the engine bay down first with a light spray of water, then use a wash mitt and the Dawn mixture to suds up the engine bay, then rinse it off with a light spray, and blot it dry with a few old towels. The dawn cuts grease and oil quite well, but if you get it on the body of the car it will also remove every speck of wax. In fact, I use it for stripping wax when I'm doing a full detail on the paint. As far as water causing problems, a light spray isn't a problem, but NEVER use a pressure washer or coin-op high pressure on the engine.

And yes, you can go crazy and detail the entire engine compartment:
Been using it for years, how much could really be sucked in and where could it be sucked in from.
Armor All contains silicon. Silicon is deathly to the O2 sensors. Not worth using that stuff and having to worry about it being sucked in somewhere into the airstream going into the engine.
Wonderful work. Exactly what I aspire to. The trying part is I have to overcome the PO's years of "neglect".
I mix up a bucket with very warm water and Dawn dish soap, Wet the engine bay down first with a light spray of water, then use a wash mitt and the Dawn mixture to suds up the engine bay, then rinse it off with a light spray, and blot it dry with a few old towels. The dawn cuts grease and oil quite well, but if you get it on the body of the car it will also remove every speck of wax. In fact, I use it for stripping wax when I'm doing a full detail on the paint. As far as water causing problems, a light spray isn't a problem, but NEVER use a pressure washer or coin-op high pressure on the engine.

And yes, you can go crazy and detail the entire engine compartment:
Oh my! I'm never posting a picture of my (dusty) engine ever again!

:)

PS: Is it silicone or silicon that you are worried about for the 02 sensors?
This picture seems showing the high pressure one. It is large and close to the tank and radiator. It is connected to a junction where other pipes are also connected.

The low-pressure one seems to be towards center and right side of the engine. It is connected to a pipe. Smaller cap on this port.

However, the valve came with the can does not fit well (popped the outer valve) and freons leak from the system when i tried connecting and the pressure shows high (60 psi) in the beginning of red zone.

Now I see the air that blows from both the vents inside the car are not cooling.
May be another problem that does not give cool air.
-Rabi
Very nice Chiefwej!
Let me know when you've got a spare hour please :)
It's the only collection I have.
That part is called dust.
In situ ICV location on the BMW M54 engine:
- CCV Replacement FYI - M54, by Jason5driver

In situ DISA location on the BMW M54 engine:
- CCV Replacement FYI - M54, by Jason5driver
Intake manifold "air distribution piece" in the M54 engine by Jason5driver:
- CCV Replacement FYI - M54 (post #23)
M54 ignition coils in-situ:
- Pictorial DIY for an M54 spark plug replacement on a 2002 BMW 525i E39 with 95K miles

M54 ignition coil #1, removed, showing #1 spark plug, #1 ignition coil, and #1 spark plug boot.

Old #1 spark plug removed from the M54 engine (at 98K miles) alongside a new replacement spark plug:

Attachments

Drain hose for the (driver side) M54 engine cabin air filter housing:
- CCV Replacement FYI - M54

Attachments

M54 throttle body assembly in situ:
E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 how to clean throttle body

Attachments

M54 idle control valve (ICV):

Attachments

M54 CCV, aka CVV, PCV, pressure regulator valve, etc.
- How to test CCV?

Fudman's in situ CCV "return pipe", "connecting line", & "vent pipe":
- DIY: CCV Replacement on an M54

Attachments

M54 starter motor in situ:

Attachments

Identification of mechanical belt tensioners, in situ:
- How to tell if you have hydraulic or mechanical belt tensioners
I was trying to keep mostly to pictures, especially in situ pictures, but this cutaway diagram of the BMW M54 engine is too revealing to pass up:

Attachments

M54 location of oxygen sensors (pre-cat):

Attachments

Maybe we should just stick to engine parts ... but this is pretty:
Wheel speed sensor

Attachments

21 - 40 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.