BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I had my rad blow on my manual 2000 323i. I went ahead and determined that it was the fan not working. I since replaced the rad,expansion tank, thermostat, water pump,lower rad house temp sensor, and swapped out the module and fan motor from an automatic (same module and motor , different housing/shroud)

Any who the system is working which I'm pleased with (20+ hours of work) and the extent of my car knowledge before this was boosting a car or changing a tire.

But not that I have been checking for leaks I am noticing some brownish/clear liquid leaking from the bottom of my expansion tank, it appears to be from either the power steering fluid line which runs above it (note power steering resivour is not empty but I'd say it's 2/3 full) or even worse those two lines that run to the right side of the rad. I believe they are for my tranny fluid. Here are some pics.

But there also looks like the same fluid is leaking on my bushing? about 12 inches away

Also near the that is a line attached to the bottom pulley system. Not sure what it does (please not coolant in pic is from bleeding the system)

So the only hoses above these points are my line for power steering and these two lines (picture is from the top of engine beside the rad/expansion tank)

Any help would be appreciated as I can't trace the leak._a__a2_

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just washed and cleaned the hoses to see if I can track it. Also tightened the hose out of the power steering resivour. It was a bit loose. Hopefully that's it !

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
The power steering fluid reservoir and hoses are known to develop leaks over time. Don't be surprised to find yourself replacing them, and if you do, replace everything - all of the rubber hoses running from the reservoir to the pump, to the steering rack, to the cooling coil, and back to the reservoir. Change the reservoir, too, as it's only a $30 part and contains a non-replaceable screen. Search threads here by Starless to learn more about the work involved.

If the power steering pump pulley exhibits any play, consider also replacing the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts