BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Quality
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Is This Prewired 5 Pin White Connector Hidden In My Overhead Console Panel?!

When I added my Homelink Module last summer I thought this thing that was inside the sunroof switch panel console (shown in the picture below) was a prewiring connector for the BMW SOS/Assist Switch. Turns out that no E46 cars have any prewiring for a BMW SOS/Assist Switch. So I assumed it was a switch for the BMW Bluetooth MIC....

Here is the problem...today I started doing my BMW Bluetooth Retrofit DIY
and to my surprise the MIC connector looks nothing like that...
it looks like this (the black 2-3 pin connector).

So what is this thing? What would it possiblly connect to?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Those wires are for the UGDO....(garage door opener)

·
Registered
26 Posts
That little box on the headliner is actually designed to house the factory alarm system's microwave (proximity) sensor. There are pre-wired connectors in the engine bay and trunk for the siren and tilt sensor. As an aside, I'm rather pleased with the setup. The microwave sensor allows me to leave my car armed with the sun roof open, free from worry.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That little box on the headliner is actually designed to house the factory alarm system's microwave (proximity) sensor. There are pre-wired connectors in the engine bay and trunk for the siren and tilt sensor. As an aside, I'm rather pleased with the setup. The microwave sensor allows me to leave my car armed with the sun roof open, free from worry.
No. The OP is referring to a plug inside the forward panel where the UGDO , sunroof controls, and mic are located; not the motion sensor housing in the center of the roof that you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I dont think thats the microwave sensor.
The motion sensor is in that square thing on the middle of your headliner with some vents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No. The OP is referring to a plug inside the forward panel where the UGDO , sunroof controls, and mic are located; not the motion sensor housing in the center of the roof that you are talking about.
Ahhh, so it is the front panel he's removed for the photos. For some reason, I must not have been seeing straight, this morning. :thumbup:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
I think that may be the connector for the auto-dimming rearview mirror. Coconutpete would know.

·
Quality
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think that may be the connector for the auto-dimming rearview mirror. Coconutpete would know.
Nope the mirror has it's own connector that creeps down into the mirror harness tube.

looks like this;

sunroof and homelink and mic contacts are all accounted for

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's bound to be the BMW assist connector, since the option is installed on my vehicle, and the connector wasn't present behind the panel. The only free connector I found just now was the white three-position plug for homelink.

·
Quality
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's bound to be the BMW assist connector, since the option is installed on my vehicle, and the connector wasn't present behind the panel. The only free connector I found just now was the white three-position plug for homelink.
You have BMW SOS Assist!? on your E46?!
Can I see a picture of the type of SOS switch that you have?

I may buy one and wire it up.

does it look like this

or this one?

·
Das rampen abwarten
373 Posts

I may buy one and wire it up.

does it look like this

or this one?
No. The typical BMW Assist (SOS & Mechanical) buttons on the E46 are on the mirror bottom under the cover flap as appears below.

BMW Assist came on many of the E46s, but why in the world would you want to install the button anyway? Retrofitting the module, antenna, etc. on a vehicle that does not have it would not be trivial and having to pay the annual subscription fee on top of that seems :dunno::confused:

Attachments

·
Quality
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. The typical BMW Assist (SOS & Mechanical) buttons on the E46 are on the mirror bottom under the cover flap as appears below.

BMW Assist came on many of the E46s, but why in the world would you want to install the button anyway? Retrofitting the module on a vehicle that does not have would not be trivial and having to pay the annual subscription fee on top of that seems :dunno::confused:
I want to wire it up to my bluetooth Parrot ck3000 kit so the button on the SOS will dial 911or an emergency number when you press it. My Blackberry has speed dial and voice dial so push the button and either say 911 or just have the SOS button programed to the bluetooth kit to dial 911

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah. Kimmy got the placement right. I didn't purchase the car new, so haven't ever been charged for the assist service; however, I can't tell you how tickled pink I was when I discovered that the car was already Bluetooth capable ('05 and later). Another nice part about the shark fin is that there are some car kits that'll take advantage of the antenna for your mobile phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts