BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
cs1221
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had this car for very long so I am wondering if this is normal or not. Upon starting her up my idle runs a fairly rough at around 6,000 rpm, and feels as though it could cut out at any moment. However, after driving it around a bit it goes up to a much smoother 8 or 9. I asked the mechanic about this and he said I shouldn't worry about it if it gets better after driving around a while, and that these car a naturally a bit rough. Fair enough, this is my first one so I don't know.

It is now hot out and I used the AC for the first time and noticed that when I turn it on the rpms drop down considerably. I've never experienced this with another car so this may also be normal. Keep in mind I have the 4 banger as well. Well, okay fine I can take that as well, but on a particularly hot day I had the AC going and went to take a rolling stop turn through a light which I would normally take in 2nd. It sure did up and die as soon as I tried to ingage it into 2nd. Does this mean anything to anyone or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks,

C.

·
Format c:\*.* /y
1,321 Posts
I don't have a solution for you but I can tell you that it should idle higher than that from a cold start. (Assuming that you mean 600 rpm instead of the 6,000 you typed :D ) While the 4 cylinder will be rougher than the 6 it shouldn't feel too rough. Also when you turn on the A/C the idle speed should go up just a little to compensate for the additional load.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree that the idle speed should go up when you turn on your A/C. I know nothing about the air conditioning system. You should check to see if your engine is running properly. theres this stuff I found called ventil sauber that if you put into your fuel tank, itll break up carbon deposits and should make your car run smoother. I suggest putting it in on an almost empty tank to get the strongest solution.

other than that, you can manually raise your idle a bit on the throttle cable but thats not really a fix its more of a gas guzzling way to put off doing stuff to your car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts