BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m driving on the highway, I hit a minor bump/dip, I already had a bad front upper control arm, once I hit the bump it got weird almost as If I had a flat tire bumping and sounding weird, I pull over, and look, no flat tire I look under car and there is this brown fluid where the “control arm?” connects to the car, and nowhere else other than splatter, what could this be as it’s causing me to not be able to drive. Any help is appreciated please and thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,465 Posts
Appears to be a thick grease. Check your inner axle boot. I bet the tripod joint came apart and you need a whole axle. Only a proper inspection will be able to tell

·
Anti-Hack
7,724 Posts
The CA bushing is hydraulic and the fluid is quite particular, but that does look like quite a lot of fluid for a single bushing. Is this the CA you’d replaced? Cheap bushings don’t last, I only got ~1500 miles from a counterfeit Moog before it puked.

Only eyes can help here. Boot or bushing, either one’s a winner.

Edit: if that is the starboard side, a control arm/bushing failure could force the axle to crack the tunnel connected to the sump and you are seeing engine oil. So, not only eyes, but your nose, will tell. Much like a human, all important fluids smell (and taste) differently.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brought a video of it to the mechanic instead of the car, he says it’s the axle,

also said it could have caused other damage if I drove after it broke, I hope it didn’t but I drove off of the highway I was on and parked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brought a video of it to the mechanic instead of the car, he says it’s the axle
Also l
Appears to be a thick grease. Check your inner axle boot. I bet the tripod joint came apart and you need a whole axle. Only a proper inspection will be able to tell
Mechanic said based off of a video that it’s the axle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts