Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly considering a 2016 435i xdrive convertible. What issues, if any, would you recommend looking out for? I believe the N55 engine has a good reputation, correct?
Should I be concerned about the hard top mechanism reliability?
Thanks!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm strongly considering a 2016 435i xdrive convertible. What issues, if any, would you recommend looking out for? I believe the N55 engine has a good reputation, correct?
Should I be concerned about the hard top mechanism reliability?
Thanks!
No body work on convertibles, too many sealing parts for the top mechanism.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No body work on convertibles, too many sealing parts for the top mechanism.
Thanks for your comment. I assume that you are saying to avoid a car with body work repairs? Are you saying that you would avoid verts because of the top seals? Seems to me the seals would be replaceable as a DIY, no?

·
Registered
751 Posts
A car of this value can absorb a significant repair without being totalled. With all of the alignment and sealing components in that top, you want a car that has not had any significant body work. Seals you'll still do at some point in the cars life I imagine, the e93 top is similar so you can check how that is wearing for normal (though extended term) maintenance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A car of this value can absorb a significant repair without being totalled. With all of the alignment and sealing components in that top, you want a car that has not had any significant body work. Seals you'll still do at some point in the cars life I imagine, the e93 top is similar so you can check how that is wearing for normal (though extended term) maintenance.
Thanks for clarifying. Good advice well taken. Appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
For the most part this car has a very good history. As for the seals, make sure to check out Nordic Kats (and others) post on the E93 forum regarding where to lub and grease the top seals and inner workings. the top seems to be very reliable. There are rarely any complaints found on the Fest about it. The salmon relays in the trunk seem to be the only repeat issue. just change them out after a couple/few years. I agree, don't buy on that has had ant body work done. good luck. N4S

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the most part this car has a very good history. As for the seals, make sure to check out Nordic Kats (and others) post on the E93 forum regarding where to lub and grease the top seals and inner workings. the top seems to be very reliable. There are rarely any complaints found on the Fest about it. The salmon relays in the trunk seem to be the only repeat issue. just change them out after a couple/few years. I agree, don't buy on that has had ant body work done. good luck. N4S
Thanks, man. I really appreciate your comments. My biggest worry about the F33 is the reliability of the folding top mechanism. It just looks like it could be a costly maintenance issue after a few years.
I had a '95 Porsche vert and I learned the hard way about the expense when the top cables go awry. It can be a bloody disaster.
Glad to hear that the F33 top is well designed and reliable.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
This!

Nordic Kat wrote the encyclopedia of convertible hard top care on the e90 forum!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This!

Nordic Kat wrote the encyclopedia of convertible hard top care on the e90 forum!
+1
Luckily it is a "sticky" on the E90 forum so it was easy to find and save for future reference.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts