BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just changed oil and per other thread, there is a Syntec that is 0w30 labeled "European Formula" that on the back is approved by BMW as LL01 (Long-Life). The standard Syntec 5W30, does not have that endorsement on the back. They are the same price and can both be found at AutoZone. I had also read somewhere that Mobil 1 can evaporate??? Don't know if true or not, but really no difference in the price and might as well buy the one that has the BMW A-OK.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
That's because BMW of NA only allows one oil change per year under the maintenance contract.

Before BMW had the maintenance contract, they recommended an oil change every 6k miles or 3 months.

That's the guideline i follow. :dunno:
Actually, they changed the spec before they statrted the "maintenance included," when they started using synthetic oil, as in my 1999 528.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually change my own oil and am not comfortable waiting an entire year for BMW to do it.

So, I just ordered a couple of filters. I think the oil capacity for my 2008 is 8.5 quarts. I plan to use the German Castrol 0W30 European Formula.

Twice a year should be about right for my driving habits.:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
My oil change is due in two months. I want to have a outside shop perform the job and I have a couple of questions. 1. What is the best place to get the oil from, and how much of it? Should I also get a filter? 2. Can any shop that does oil changes perform this task?

·
***** Prowler
274 Posts
5W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic is what BMW puts in them.

Any 5W-30 synthetic is fine though. I recommend Castrol Syntec or Royal Purple, besides Mobil 1
is that same oil for every beemer engine?

·
Registered
850 Posts
They use castrol syntec its stamped right on the filler cap of my X5, I havent checked the 7 to see if it is stamped there as well. This is allot of talk about oil, use 5w30 and do some research on oil, I personnaly would stay away from mobil 1 but thats me. I was going to start using Royal Purple as I use it in my SRT10 ram but decided to stay with Castrol Syntec. The best oil you can get I feel is Redline or AMSOIL but they are both not sold in most places so unless you order allot you could be in a jam and end up mixing oils between changes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since it gets cold from time to time here in Toronto, I have used Castrol Full Synthetic 5w-40. I have no doubts 5w-30 will work fine in Florida.
I change it once a year, my yearly mileage is around 20K; I can foresee some indignant postings, but it is full Synthetic and it is what it's been designed for. Changing oil once every 3 month is valid for Mineral Oil.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.