Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a laptop that is available to me for basically nothing, it is a 64 bit.
I would like to set it up with INPA and DiS for my 2000 528i for now.

Should I go with Windows 7 or another operating system. I know Windows XP was
the recommended operating system for a long time, but through the years I see others
using later operating systems with good results.

What ever works best is what I am looking for, easy setup. I have access to older laptops 32
bit and pretty much all the operating system software choices there are.

Any recommendations to make this work smoothly without any complications would be appreciated.

https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-a135/specs/

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
if youre wanting a system with support, cable-shack uk supplies a guaranteed cable and will send you the software, and they provide support, even as far as going in to your laptop remotely and setting it up properly if needed at no extra charge. theyre on the big eauction site. any windows system is supported from xp to 10.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if youre wanting a system with support, cable-shack uk supplies a guaranteed cable and will send you the software, and they provide support, even as far as going in to your laptop remotely and setting it up properly if needed at no extra charge. theyre on the big eauction site. any windows system is supported from xp to 10.
Thanks Mattmar,

Cable-Shack UK is what I have been leaning towards for some time now and
that seems like a good one footprint solution.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,511 Posts
1. Install Windows-7 64-bits on your laptop.

2. Buy the INPA cable with the genuine FTDI chips. It costs about $34 on Ebay and such. It is best to buy the blue cable with a jumper switch, so that you can use it on both older and newer BMW models.

3. Download and install the INPA tools software ."Mike's EC-APPS" EasyBMWTools software suite is recommended. It is a one-click install, and freely available on many sites and forums. (See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879366)
Note: this software suite installs and works on Windows-XP SP3 and on Windows-7. I have not tried it on Windows-10

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
either/or can be used. its just gotta be set up right. see posts 2 and 3 above

·
Gearhead
1,120 Posts
is inpa aka bmw scanner ?

if so, the bmw scanner im using works on my laptop w/ windows 7

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
bmw scanner 1.4 is different from INPA, and uses a different cable. its not a bad scanner at all though

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,511 Posts
bmw scanner 1.4 is different from INPA, and uses a different cable. its not a bad scanner at all though

:thumbup: Correct.:thumbup: BMW scanner 1.4 is an OBD-II scanner, like many other generic OBD-2 scanners. That is, it connects to the car via the OBD-II port.

INPA is a BMW specific scanner. It uses the BMW specific port to connect to the car. It has more functionality than any OBD-2 scanner or code reader.
In fact, INPA is originally the software used by BMW at their factories to configure and test the new cars, before shipment to the dealers. And frankly, it is more risky for a DIY user -if you do not know what you are doing with it. ;)

And yes, it runs on any Windows laptop (32-bit mode)

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
INPA connects via the OBDII port as well....early e39's had 2 ports, the underdash (OBDII) port, thru which the engine and trans modules could be read, and an underhood "pacman" 20 pin port thru which the other modules could be read. after 1999 i believe, all data was read from all modules via the underdash OBDII port. for the early models, pins 2, 17 and 20 can be shorted together in the 20 pin cap and the cap reinstalled to allow for all the modules to be read via the OBDII port.

BMW scanner 1.4 is far from a generic OBD scanner, it will read all the BMW specific modules on these beasts of ours.

·
Registered
793 Posts
All the above mentioned software work fine on my 64bit Windows10 latest version. I use a Surface Pro with 1TB NVME and it's superfast! By the way, I reconfigured my 1997 528 under-dash OBDII port and it works perfectly now reading all modules. I don't have to use the 20pin port under the hood.

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
as in reconfigured, did you do the short pins 2, 17 and 20 in the 20 pin cap mod or do it another way?

·
Registered
793 Posts
as in reconfigured, did you do the short pins 2, 17 and 20 in the 20 pin cap mod or do it another way?
Yeah, just shorting the pins in the 20 pin cap as you point out. The under-dash OBDII now works perfectly. I have a low profile wireless diagnostics reader there that my Android head unit talks to. With all this and wifi tethering of the Android head unit, my beloved 1997 528 feels like a 2020 Bimmer:D.

·
Wingnut
3,640 Posts
sweet....ive not got a droid unit in, but still its a lot easier just having to hook up to the obd port

·
Registered
793 Posts
sweet....ive not got a droid unit in, but still its a lot easier just having to hook up to the obd port
If you get an Android unit, make sure to include the IBUS USB adapter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts