BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys-
I read one member post here where he claimed that he was able to purcahse a $43K car for about $34,500.
Does anyone know, how much I can negotiate for a 330i with an MSRP of $40k? WHat is a fare price considering the new 3 series are almost here?

THanks.
AMT-

·
2004 325XI
593 Posts
amt7565 said:
Guys-
I read one member post here where he claimed that he was able to purcahse a $43K car for about $34,500.
Does anyone know, how much I can negotiate for a 330i with an MSRP of $40k? WHat is a fare price considering the new 3 series are almost here?

THanks.
AMT-
YMMV but in my opinion, you should be able to get these close to invoice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
330i price

amt7565 said:
Guys-

THanks.
AMT-
I got mine 05 black shapphire 330i for $35,500 with auto, sport, xenon,& leather. you just need to push for a good price since the new model are comming.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goosie said:
I got mine 05 black shapphire 330i for $35,500 with auto, sport, xenon,& leather. you just need to push for a good price since the new model are comming.
Thanks!
Tell me; Why did you get the 2005 330i for $35,500 when the 2006 325i will cost $35,170 with premier/auto? I would think you could have got a lower price. Was your car MSRP $41,500?

Thanks.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Damn, I paid 41K for my car a year ago, I never thought you'd be able to get a 330i for 35K so soon. Oh well, I did enjoy the car this year immensely. If I do get an E90 it won't be for about 3 - 4 years anyway. I prefer to wait for the E90 to be out for a while and see what they upgrade.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
Sean said:
BMW Dealers have $4300 in trunk money (incentives) on 05 330i(s)
Did it go up, or is it just higher in your area? In my area, it's $4200 ($100 less) for a 330i.

To answer amt7565's question: you need to go online and look up the invoice price (not MSRP) for the car you want, taking into account all of the options listed on the sticker. In many parts of the country, many people don't seem to have too much trouble getting a 330i for <$invoice> - ($4300/$4200) + $1300 + tax/license/delivery fees/etc. The $1300 is the dealer's profit, and so it's the main "wiggle/haggle number". Depending on how good an haggler you are, and how desperate the dealer is, your number might be lower (or higher!) than $1300.

[ Also, I got this $1300 a couple of months ago. It might be out-of-date by now. Caveat Emptor. ]

Also note that the incentive is for cars on the dealer's lot only (or ones that the dealer can get via trade from another dealer). The incentive isn't good on cars ordered from the factory.

Umm, amt7565: haven't you been reading here (it looks like you've been posting there):

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0f830!make=BMW&model=3%20Series&ed_makeindex=.ef0f830

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
solsurfr said:
YMMV but in my opinion, you should be able to get these close to invoice.
In many (most?) parts of the country, invoice appears to be way too high for a 330i. $2K-$3+K below invoice is often possible, due to the current dealer incentives.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darrylo-
Yes, I have been posting at edmunds. Darn, I thought I could remain anonymous here...LOL
I am just trying to get a feel of more BMW enthusiasts and trying to save as much as possible. I just paid off my 99 Honda Accord and so I am enjoying a car with no monthly payments. So I am in no rush to get one! :)

Anyway-
The car I want has a MSRP of $39,595.
Invoice $36,320

So final invoice is $36,320-$4200 = $32,120

Add $1000 profit, so $32,120 + $1000 = $33,120.00.
So is $33,120 a fare price?

Thanks!

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
amt7565 said:
So is $33,120 a fare price?
Sounds good to me (assuming a 330i), but I'm in California. What really matters are the prices in your area (Texas) and how desperate your dealer is. I'd start with that, and see where it goes. You might also want to try talking them into giving you a free set of floor mats (especially if they come back with an higher price).

However (and I hate to say this), note that these prices are low only because of the new models. If you really want a good deal on a new 330i, you've got to act soon, because they're good only for the existing stock of E46 330i's. Once they're gone, you'll have to buy the more expensive E90's (no incentives). As the incentive is $4200, that's how much more you'll be paying for an E90 (and possibly a lot more, like MSRP or above -- go to BMW's web site to see what the new E90 MSRP is like). If you absolutely need a new car, the best deals are now.

I have no idea what the current E46 330i stock situation is like. If it's big, then I'd guess that we'll probably see larger incentives next month. If it's not big, the incentives will probably stay the same, shrink, or go away. :p

On the other hand, keep in mind that a new car's value drops a LOT the moment you drive it off the dealer's lot. If you're willing to wait, you might want to consider getting a used 330i.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
darrylo said:
Sounds good to me (assuming a 330i), but I'm in California. What really matters are the prices in your area (Texas) and how desperate your dealer is. I'd start with that, and see where it goes. You might also want to try talking them into giving you a free set of floor mats (especially if they come back with an higher price).

However (and I hate to say this), note that these prices are low only because of the new models. If you really want a good deal on a new 330i, you've got to act soon, because they're good only for the existing stock of E46 330i's. Once they're gone, you'll have to buy the more expensive E90's (no incentives). As the incentive is $4200, that's how much more you'll be paying for an E90 (and possibly a lot more, like MSRP or above -- go to BMW's web site to see what the new E90 MSRP is like). If you absolutely need a new car, the best deals are now.

I have no idea what the current E46 330i stock situation is like. If it's big, then I'd guess that we'll probably see larger incentives next month. If it's not big, the incentives will probably stay the same, shrink, or go away. :p

On the other hand, keep in mind that a new car's value drops a LOT the moment you drive it off the dealer's lot. If you're willing to wait, you might want to consider getting a used 330i.
Thanks!
Seems like all the dealers have about 5 to 10 of 330i in stock. I will wait till the new 3 series comes out. I don't think the current 330i will rise again in prices. Who would buy it at a higher price if the news ones are out?
Some of the dealers have dozens of 325i and are advertising often in the local news. They even have 2004 325i in stock!

One disadvantage in getting the 330i is that, this time frame is so close to the new models coming out. The residuals on the 2004/2005 models will be much lower in 3 or 5 years than they would have been 1 or 2 years ago. Won't you agree?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts