BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 89' 325is with a 2.5L M20 I-6. I'm thinking of turbocharging it, but I don't have the cash to reinforce the enternals of my M20. There is a company that has a supercharger system thats states that it would add up to 85HP!!! Question is, do I have to do the same with the enternals with this mod??? Let me know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would say if you are not satisfied with the m20b25,then do an engine swap.
Skip the turbo.Its very problematic on this engine.Supercharger is better,but I personally would leave out forced induction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So M50?

If an engine swap is to be done, if the funds are available, should I opt for the M50 or should I do the "Baby Bimmer" as seen in Bimmer Magazine? If your not familiar with Bimmer, there is a company that takes the M20 ports and polishes the head I believe bores it and gets it any where from 190-230 HP!!! It is a costly swap, I know, but the M50 has much potential. BMP Racing has products available for individuals who swap there M20 for an M50. Since I'm in California, US, its hard to find a M50 at the junk yard, cause most accidents out here are front end collisions. But which do you think would be more suited for me that wants practical, fast, and gets fairly good gas mileage. Let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M50 isn't worth it.

It's a lot of work to do, for not much extra power. It's cheaper to go the S50/S51/S52 route, as you'll start with more power (you'd spend a lot of money on an M50 to get it to those levels).

Another option is a 3.3L or 3.5L M30 from an E24 (6'er) / E32 (7'er) / E34 (5'er). They're easy to find and cheap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
elroy said:
It's a lot of work to do, for not much extra power. It's cheaper to go the S50/S51/S52 route, as you'll start with more power (you'd spend a lot of money on an M50 to get it to those levels).
What's an S51?

·
Registered
78 Posts
9x16 said:
I would say if you are not satisfied with the m20b25,then do an engine swap.
Skip the turbo.Its very problematic on this engine.Supercharger is better,but I personally would leave out forced induction.
I, on the other hand, would disagree. There's tons of info on turbocharging the M20B25, you just have to know where to look.

As far as that problematic part goes, I don't know about that. As long as you know what you're doing & your engine is in good shape, then you should be fine.

Tons of e30 related turbocharging info - http://www.e30tech.com/forum/index.php (More specifically, see the Turbocharged forum)

And good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
106 Posts
elroy said:

Another option is a 3.3L or 3.5L M30 from an E24 (6'er) / E32 (7'er) / E34 (5'er). They're easy to find and cheap.
m30 would be my choice for engine swap.If I will ever do it.

Like the good old Alpina B6 3.5 had it.And thats about 260 hp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts