BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at cars to buy and and came into these two. 2007 Bmw 335i and 2008 Bmw 535i. Both have same mileage, and it's under 125,000. Both in immaculate condition. The 335i has a manual transmission with navigation and sport package and mtech bumpers. It's fully loaded up, comfort access, push button start, etc. The 535i is absolutely beautiful. Has everything the 335i has and more, but it's the auto transmission. Which should I choose. Mind the prices, the 335i is 12k and the 535i is 10k. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
My parents have a 535 and I have a 335 and the 535 is much more spacious and come with a few more luxurious details, but in my opinion the 335 is more fun to drive because its smaller, lighter, and has a sturdier steering feel. May not be a big deal for some but the parking brake on the 5 series is electronic :thumbdwn:, while the 3 series has a manual brake lever.

All in all, If you're looking for something sportier, Id go for the 3 series but if you want a more comfortable ride, 5 series.

·
Registered
50 Posts
335i all the way! Honestly I do not like the look of the 5 series compared to the 3 series at all. The nimble design of the 3 series is much more fun than the more bulky 5 series

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
So I was looking at cars to buy and and came into these two. 2007 Bmw 335i and 2008 Bmw 535i. Both have same mileage, and it's under 125,000. Both in immaculate condition. The 335i has a manual transmission with navigation and sport package and mtech bumpers. It's fully loaded up, comfort access, push button start, etc. The 535i is absolutely beautiful. Has everything the 335i has and more, but it's the auto transmission. Which should I choose. Mind the prices, the 335i is 12k and the 535i is 10k. Thanks
Dunno....which one do you like better?

Why?

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,576 Posts
Flip a coin, and if you are disappointed with the result then you know which one you wanted.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
335 is more sporty and 535 larger, more luxury. Which fits your life better. you can't really make a bad choice here.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What matters to you? If you care most about a $2k price difference, then the choice is clear.

If you care about the transmission, then the choice is clear.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does the 5 have the sport package? I don't think these cars are typically cross shopped. I would not have considered the 5 at all and the 3 is perfect.

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Personally, I would buy the 3 series, just for the manual transmission. I would not own a car with an automatic trans. That's just me though. I'm a purist in that regard. The 335 will be a lot of fun and I don't think you'll regret buying it. But honestly go and drive both and buy what makes you happy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is such a personal preference on the 5 vs the 3. They really are different cars. If you've got to haul around family and gear, the 5 should be your choice. I can barely fit my golf bag in the trunk of my 335, but I am so willing to make that trade off. The 335 is the best car I have ever owned. And I have never owned one car for more than two years. This is one is now 5 years old and keeping it as long as I can. Its such a fun car to drive. Its not the most comfortable car and I don't like taking it on long trips over 3 or 4 hours. But as a daily driver, this car is awesome and a blast to drive! Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you've got to haul around family and gear, the 5 should be your choice. I can barely fit my golf bag in the trunk of my 335, but I am so willing to make that trade off. The 335 is the best car I have ever owned.
All true. I have two cars with automatics, but they are there so family can drive them while hauling kids, groceries, & luggage. For my personal car, it has to be a stick. Table stakes. The 335 has been a dream car for me (and I have an e46 m3 sitting next to it). I've been wanting to pick up an e90 m3 but the garage is at capacity and I'm not willing to let the 335 go, even for its m sibling. It would have to experience a catastrophic mechanical failure or get crunched by a mustang peeling out of a cars&coffee before another car takes its place.

Once our beater car reaches it's end, I will be able to replace it with something fun, though I will have to get it with an auto. Can you imagine letting visiting family members hop into a 300zx twin turbo to go pick up eggs? I can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you driven both?
I drove both the 535 and the 335 back to back. The 535 felt large and like I was driving my dad's car. The 335 was much faster and handled better. It was an easy choice.

·
BMW 4 LIFE
1,518 Posts
Go with your heart and the one that will make you truly happy. No regrets... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It all depends how much the size matters to you :)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
have you driven both?
I drove both the 535 and the 335 back to back. The 535 felt large and like I was driving my dad's car. The 335 was much faster and handled better. It was an easy choice.
Ok, ok... next time I am not letting you drive my car....

"Dad"

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
have you driven both?
Dad's have a right to live and drive good cars too, ya know.

I have driven both, and while I am no longer a young man, and toss cars around all the time, I can tell you this: when you really have to hustle, the 5er gets smaller than you think. It is not, by any means, as tossable as a 3er, but for its class, it is very tossable. Plus, you can load up the thing with people and luggage and drive 600 miles in comfort, with power and luxury.

You can't make the 3 bigger.

So, what will you use it for, and how old are you? Under 40 with a small family, the 3. Fifty +, the 5. In between? :dunno:

My 35 YO nephew with 3 kids bought a CLS 550. His wife has a minivan. Which she does not take to book club.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts