Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at cars to buy and and came into these two. 2007 Bmw 335i and 2008 Bmw 535i. Both have same mileage, and it's under 125,000. Both in immaculate condition. The 335i has a manual transmission with navigation and sport package and mtech bumpers. It's fully loaded up, comfort access, push button start, etc. The 535i is absolutely beautiful. Has everything the 335i has and more, but it's the auto transmission. Which should I choose. Mind the prices, the 335i is 12k and the 535i is 10k. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really it comes down to your comfort level in compact car--both physically and usability. I understand that the 3-series is regarded as the more enthusiast car but just couldn't get comfortable in it. I'm just more of a "mid-size" type of guy. I like an extended driving position, daily drive a baby in a rear-facing seat, occasionally will have multiple adults along for short and long trips, and keep a plethora of things in my trunk.

Think about the size of the cars you've owned in the past, and what worked for you. Both BMWs will exceed all other compacts or mid-sizers you've owned from a performance standpoint, so it doesn't matter which one you get in that respect. Just pick the one you can best live with day to day..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own a 535xi and a 330xi. I would have trouble choosing one or the other. They are very different cars. The E90's are pretty small sporty cars that really handle great and are more fun to drive. The E61 is probably the most comfortable car I've ever owned. As as our daily drivers, my wife drives the 330 and I drive the 535. I have never driven a 335, but I bet it is a real blast.

When the two of us go out together, we most often take the 535 and definitely take the 535 on long trips. But when I go out by myself and want to feel the road I love driving the 330.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thats why a 535i with sports package would the best of both worlds. You get the dynamic drive and lower ride height. My 545 keeps up with wrx' s, miatas, and evos on my back roads. Then I have a smoother highway ride and more room than all of them. Win win. The 335i would have to be a sedan for me. But still to small.

·
Registered
637 Posts
We might be bias because you posted the question on the 5 Series area...but I still say the 535i, roomier, more comfortable and sporty enough.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thats why a 535i with sports package would the best of both worlds. You get the dynamic drive and lower ride height. My 545 keeps up with wrx' s, miatas, and evos on my back roads. Then I have a smoother highway ride and more room than all of them. Win win. The 335i would have to be a sedan for me. But still to small.
I have the sport package on both of mine, and I still like the handling of the 330 much better than the 535. I like the power and comfort of the 535 much better though. I once test drove a Z4 and I like the feel of the 330 better than the Z4. This was several years ago and it was one of the first Z4's.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've owned two 3 series, one 7 series and one 5 series over the years. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for but I will never buy another 3 series again, too much road noise and not very comfortable. The 7 series are nice but typically problematic due to them usually being on the forefront of technology. The 5 series is the best of both worlds, more comfortable than a 3 and less techy than a 7.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 3 series feel like they handle better but the e60 win in that dept as well. This has been proven and talked about many times. Plus you get a bigger car with the 5 series at the cost of only 100 to 150 lbs.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
weight costs!! interesting fact! a 335i is actually heavier then a n52 530i !! a CLK550 is heavier then a 550i!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes your right 100 lbs usually cost a tenth of a second. But comparing overall size luxury features and handling the 535i wins even with the 100 lbs of extra weight. Its really just preference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bought a 535xi Touring - absolutely love it. All the creature comforts of a Big Sedan, but drives like a rocket ship on rails...

As it happens, a friend has the 3 Series wagon and, gotta say, it feels a little cramped...

I'm an average-sized guy, but, by way of context: My DD is an S Class Mercedes, and past experience has run through Triumph TR 250, Jaguar 3.4 Sedan, etc.

Car has some of the standard issues - oil leaks around the cooler/oil filter mount, rear hatch electrical harness a real disaster, etc.

Overall, small prices to pay for such a machine.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
Yes your right 100 lbs usually cost a tenth of a second. But comparing overall size luxury features and handling the 535i wins even with the 100 lbs of extra weight. Its really just preference.
I was backing up what you were saying :thumbup: i love how relatively light our cars are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts