BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey people, i was just wondering, what should i get done or checked before my warranty expires?, i have a 2002 745li, just don't want any surprises later on, with my luck it will all probably happen the day after

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wont do my kick panels or side panels that are obviously peeling, hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
uhh what ever is broken?? They wont change things that arent....:cry:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
bring you car in for a full inspection at the dealership on your tab.

·
Registered
721 Posts
^^^Not a bad idea, I guess for the 125 or so you would get everything up to snuff as long as the stealer is not being shady

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
^^^Not a bad idea, I guess for the 125 or so you would get everything up to snuff as long as the stealer is not being shady
i did just that before my warranty expired. several items were found including a poorly reinstalled aux fan. :eek: saved me a lot of money. the cost of the 55-point inspection was 1/2 tech time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
complain about tranny shift problems, engine making noises, intermittent airbag lights going off, as long as they have that on file they might replace something down the line after warranty. and every part that is replace has a 2 year warranty on it even after. But just remember, after warranty thats when they'll get you. dealerships are all about CSI (customer satisfaction index ) complain like a [email protected]#$% and you'll usually get what you want.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
bring you car in for a full inspection at the dealership on your tab.
if you bring it to the dealer and they are aware its still under warrantly, they may choose not to "find" all your problems cause they know they will have to fix it for free under warrantly. i'd take it to independent cause they will be more thorough and do their best to locate every single problem, especially if they think you'll be bringing it back to them to have it all fixed.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
if you bring it to the dealer and they are aware its still under warrantly, they may choose not to "find" all your problems cause they know they will have to fix it for free under warrantly. i'd take it to independent cause they will be more thorough and do their best to locate every single problem, especially if they think you'll be bringing it back to them to have it all fixed.
why would they care. they aren't fixing anything for free. you do know that get reimbursed by BMW for warranty fixes. simply put, problems during the warranty period, paid by bmw, problems outside of the warranty period, paid by you. but in some cases, you may get goodwill repairs paid full or in part by bmw. the only time when the dealership is responsible for the issue is if something has been repaired by them previously, and the issue crops up again due to poor workmanship, it's on their tab. i assume the parts themselves have a warranty from the manufacturer as well. if it's the parts that went bad, within the spare parts warranty period, then it's on the parts manufacturer. but all this latter stuff is when your car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
353 Posts
why would they care. they aren't fixing anything for free. you do know that get reimbursed by BMW for warranty fixes. simply put, problems during the warranty period, paid by bmw, problems outside of the warranty period, paid by you. but in some cases, you may get goodwill repairs paid full or in part by bmw. the only time when the dealership is responsible for the issue is if something has been repaired by them previously, and the issue crops up again due to poor workmanship, it's on their tab. i assume the parts themselves have a warranty from the manufacturer as well. if it's the parts that went bad, within the spare parts warranty period, then it's on the parts manufacturer. but all this latter stuff is when your car is out of warranty.
Yes and no, the CPO warranty is very persnickety in that regard because they have to get PRIOR authorization from BMW for every repair they make, also the PROFIT MARGIN of a warranty repair does not TOUCH that of John Q. Customer getting raped on his way in the door with no warranty. Warranty-work in turn takes precious technicians away from other "paying" customers.

In other words, there isn't alot of motivation to HELP the customer get his issues fixed DURING the warranty period because it takes time to get every issue approved and the payout from BMW isn't the same as the profit margin on a regular walk-in customer.

If you truly want to get on your service advisor's good side and have him look out for you, do the Dealership version of a six pack. Bring the car in and ask for an inspection of any items that might need repaired. Tell him that you are "thinking" about doing a FUEL SYSTEM CLEANING or some other of those high profit services the advisors push incessantly. Once he knows he might have a sale or two out of you, hes going to go over and above (usually, unless he doesnt need the spiff) to make you think he went out of his way for you. Yes, it'll cost you a few bucks, but the results may be worth it. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
HW - then why is it that more often than not when people bring their cars in too have something fixed under warranty, the dealer for some reason can't "replicate" the problem. are they just lazy bastards that don't want to go through the trouble of proper diagnostics???? :dunno:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
HW - then why is it that more often than not when people bring their cars in too have something fixed under warranty, the dealer for some reason can't "replicate" the problem. are they just lazy bastards that don't want to go through the trouble of proper diagnostics???? :dunno:
there are some things that are more easily replicated than others. and with limited diagnoses time, sometimes those issues that you catch are not found in the short time that have and are allocated for diagnosing the issue. unless the on board computer flagged the issue that it has found by sensors, the tech won't sit for an hour in your car pressing a knob till the problem is seen.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Great Idea on the inspection. I may just do that later this year.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Yes and no, the CPO warranty is very persnickety in that regard because they have to get PRIOR authorization from BMW for every repair they make, also the PROFIT MARGIN of a warranty repair does not TOUCH that of John Q. Customer getting raped on his way in the door with no warranty. Warranty-work in turn takes precious technicians away from other "paying" customers.

In other words, there isn't alot of motivation to HELP the customer get his issues fixed DURING the warranty period because it takes time to get every issue approved and the payout from BMW isn't the same as the profit margin on a regular walk-in customer.

If you truly want to get on your service advisor's good side and have him look out for you, do the Dealership version of a six pack. Bring the car in and ask for an inspection of any items that might need repaired. Tell him that you are "thinking" about doing a FUEL SYSTEM CLEANING or some other of those high profit services the advisors push incessantly. Once he knows he might have a sale or two out of you, hes going to go over and above (usually, unless he doesnt need the spiff) to make you think he went out of his way for you. Yes, it'll cost you a few bucks, but the results may be worth it. YMMV.
from my own personal experience, i brought my car in prior to the warranty expiring. requested for a 55-point inspection costing 1/2 tech time. they gave me a list of things that they've found. scheduled another appointment to have those repaired. all done.

other times that i brought my car in for the 55-point inspection (out of warranty). they gave me a shopping list of things to do. :cry: but those items on the list were stuff that i had suspected which was the reason for bringing it in.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
^^^your probably right. just seems to me dealers are awful quick to chalk it up as "could not duplicate" when you bring it in under warrantly. however, if you bring the car in and its out of warranty, they have no problem spending half a day locating the problem.

either way, what he should do before the warranty runs out is - SELL THE CAR!!!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Diz - I don't think it's a case of the local dealer being in bed with BMW germany like the money is all coming out of the same account or something. The dealer wants the work and I bet they would rather have the warranty work.

I can't make the same statements about my dealer. I give them stuff that is hard to replicate and even it they don't, they replace something or do something. I just think there are a lot of ****ty dealers out there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Actually, I'll add one more tidbit of experience here since I'm definitely qualified to comment on this...

Recently, Reeves BMW refused to take my claims of engine noise in my BMW M3 and gave me the old "they all sound that way" response. When I brought up the grinding in my SMG transmission at low speeds they told me the transmission shifted fine (note that my original concern was completely ignored on the count of nothing more than adequate shift performance)...

Rewind back to 2006... I had a 1999 328i E46 sedan that I had driven through some low water and got stuck on a manhole cover that belonged to Verizon, which they had left open and which tore straight through my transmission. Verizon reluctantly agreed to pay my claim when I threatened legal action and basically told me to send the car to my repair shop of choice. I of course chose Reeves BMW which is the closest to me...

AFTER THREE MONTHS of having the car here are the items that the dealership claimed were "related to the incident" and refused to give the car back to me unless I had them fixed (or more importantly, Verizon's blank check).

Transmission... of course
Driveshaft... Ok that makes sense
Transmission mounts... sure.

ENGINE mounts (they refused to give the car back to me unless I allowed them to fix these)?
Power steering pump hose leak?
Right front shock absorber... now we're not even in the general vicinity of the damage...
Right front steering arm... wtf?

Anyway... I could continue.. however when all was said and done they figured out how to turn a transmission replacement into a ***$10,000.00*** job on a car that was probably WORTH 9 at the time, maybe even 8500 I dont know.

They had a goldmine between Verizon's corporate checkbook (more correctly their insurance I suppose) and an insurance adjuster who did the least amount of "adjusting" I've ever seen in my LIFE. He never even came out to the dealership!

I guarantee had this been a warranty repair they would not have been so generous.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Actually, I'll add one more tidbit of experience here since I'm definitely qualified to comment on this...

Recently, Reeves BMW refused to take my claims of engine noise in my BMW M3 and gave me the old "they all sound that way" response. When I brought up the grinding in my SMG transmission at low speeds they told me the transmission shifted fine (note that my original concern was completely ignored on the count of nothing more than adequate shift performance)...

Rewind back to 2006... I had a 1999 328i E46 sedan that I had driven through some low water and got stuck on a manhole cover that belonged to Verizon, which they had left open and which tore straight through my transmission. Verizon reluctantly agreed to pay my claim when I threatened legal action and basically told me to send the car to my repair shop of choice. I of course chose Reeves BMW which is the closest to me...

AFTER THREE MONTHS of having the car here are the items that the dealership claimed were "related to the incident" and refused to give the car back to me unless I had them fixed (or more importantly, Verizon's blank check).

Transmission... of course
Driveshaft... Ok that makes sense
Transmission mounts... sure.

ENGINE mounts (they refused to give the car back to me unless I allowed them to fix these)?
Power steering pump hose leak?
Right front shock absorber... now we're not even in the general vicinity of the damage...
Right front steering arm... wtf?

Anyway... I could continue.. however when all was said and done they figured out how to turn a transmission replacement into a ***$10,000.00*** job on a car that was probably WORTH 9 at the time, maybe even 8500 I dont know.

They had a goldmine between Verizon's corporate checkbook (more correctly their insurance I suppose) and an insurance adjuster who did the least amount of "adjusting" I've ever seen in my LIFE. He never even came out to the dealership!

I guarantee had this been a warranty repair they would not have been so generous.
for something like that, i'd expect them to swap in a refurb'd tranny. pretty sure that the price of swapping in one and the refurb'd is much lower than $10K.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts