BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking for a while, I have found a 2008 328IX CPO that I'm ready to negotiate for, so I have a few questions:

1. I have seen conflicting posts on tires being replaced as part of the CPO program. are they always replaced? If not, what's the minimum tread depth that BMW accepts?

2. Are all computer/Nav updates done as part of a CPO, or do I need to ask for them? How do I ensure they are the latest versions?

3. Is there a newer version of the NAV DVD that I should ask for?

4. What specific items should I be looking to ensure are part of the delivered vehicle? For example, obviously manuals, 2 keys, etc. - But what else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
They didn't update my nav DVD, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. There were no other updates to my nav system on my 2008 335i.

One thing I would do is to inspect the car in bright daylight and have them address any cosmetic defects. I did my final inspection of my car in their warehouse on a rainy day. Although I was thorough, the light wasn't sufficient to do good job, and I missed several interior defects. I did not notice them until days later when it was sunny.

For the ties, mine were new, but I think their standard is minimum 90% tread left.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
After looking for a while, I have found a 2008 328IX CPO that I'm ready to negotiate for, so I have a few questions:

4. What specific items should I be looking to ensure are part of the delivered vehicle? For example, obviously manuals, 2 keys, etc. - But what else?

Thanks!
1. As my CPO '07 328i had about 32,000 miles, the tires were new OEM Turanzas.

3. The car contained the original '07 NAV DVD. Updating the system means purchasing the 2011 DVDs (there are now 2) from a dealer. You may find a shared version available, but I avoid pirated software. If they will include the new ones, it's a $200 item.

4. During the negotiations, I was provided a Carfax report. After signing off on the car, I received a "CPO Consumer Information Statement Protection Plan" booklet which included personalized stickers on p.1 listing the VIN, Year, Body Style, Color, Original In-service date, and information identifying the plan code, term, expiration date & mileage. The remainder of the booklet details the CPO coverage.

I also received a very useful 3 page report entitled "Warranty vehicle Inquiry" which provided a list of all options on the car as well as a complete BMW service history.

The only thing I did not get were new batteries for the fobs as the salesman didn't realize that the Comfort Access fobs are not rechargeable. A quick trip to Radio Shack for a couple of CR2032 batteries for about $5.00 solved that easily enough.

Good luck on your negotiations.

Tom

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
1. Any tire "measuring less than 3mm tread depth at all locations across the entire surface" is supposed to be replaced. If the tires are cupped or unevenly worn, they should be replaced (and the alignment adjusted).
2. As I recall, there was no particular guideline on the navi DVD, other than it had to be the proper one for the country you're in.
3. You have to negotiate for the latest disk, it's not something required by the CPO program.
4. As for specific items to check, first familiarize yourself with the CPO checklist form before you go to the dealership. Then ask to see the actual completed form for the particular vehicle once you're at the dealership. Look for the difference between the date and mileage of the inspection and the current date and mileage. It shouldn't be more than a month or two or a few hundred miles.

I think most dealer's are conscientious about their CPO inspections. Others seem to be pretty scandalous, from what I read here.

Look on the BMW website for a booklet entitled Vehicle Inspection Guidelines and Standards. If it's still available, it's gold.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Make sure that car hasn't been in an accident. Don't trust CPO and definitely don't trust CarFax.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,940 Posts

1. I have seen conflicting posts on tires being replaced as part of the CPO program. are they always replaced? If not, what's the minimum tread depth that BMW accepts?

2. Are all computer/Nav updates done as part of a CPO, or do I need to ask for them? How do I ensure they are the latest versions?

Thanks!
1. As mentioned the tires have to be replaced if they measure less than 3 mm above the wear bars all the way across.

2. Nav updates are never free. Even during warranty. The need for a Nav update is not a defect. Software updates should be done under the new car warranty, so unless the car went out of new car warranty for a period of time before they CPO'd it and you bought it (it is possible for that to happen based on time or mileage), all the software should be updated. But, make sure they have done that. Software updates are not covered under the CPO warranty.

3. Answered in #2. Nav updates are not free.

4. That's pretty much it. But, here are a couple of other items - if the car has BMW Assist your CA should get it transferred over to you. If there is less than one year left on the free period BMW will required a credit card number. They will notify you in advance of the end of the "free" BMW covered period and you need to tell them whether you want to keep the service (Safety Plan @ $199/yr) or they will automatically charge your card. When the CA puts your name and info in the BMW Assist system it should print a new contract for you to sign and a Stolen Vehicle Recovery Certificate. That cert. should get you a discount on your insurance, though some insurance companies are snarky about it.

You should get a copy of the CPO Inspection form (4 pages). They probably won't offer this, but it is a requirement of the program that they give it to you.

Most of this info is on BMW's website. Here are some links - http://resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_988f0bce-f3e2-44ac-a143-a81cd9e87fc2.arox , http://resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_335e64e3-ff85-4122-aaf2-77e4c235fed8.arox , http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...u3loInDjvJbITyQarG0tSG+vE48p2mfP0/DFADt1zG5sS

And just for good measure I've attached a copy of the CPO inspection guidelines the dealer is supposed to follow. As you can see, I also added E90 product information from 2006. Some of it will be out of date for your car, but it has lots of interesting stuff in it.

Make sure that car hasn't been in an accident. Don't trust CPO and definitely don't trust CarFax.
You really don't need to worry too much about it being in a wreck. If it was in a serious wreck where there was frame damage or other significant damage it's virtually certain the dealer would have found it. It is against the rules to CPO such a car and it is not in the dealer's best interest to break that rule. If it was in a "fender bender" and the repair work was done to BMW standards they can CPO it and I don't think they are necessarily required to inform you of that.

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,940 Posts
1. As my CPO '07 328i had about 32,000 miles, the tires were new OEM Turanzas.

3. The car contained the original '07 NAV DVD. Updating the system means purchasing the 2011 DVDs (there are now 2) from a dealer. You may find a shared version available, but I avoid pirated software. If they will include the new ones, it's a $200 item.

4. During the negotiations, I was provided a Carfax report. After signing off on the car, I received a "CPO Consumer Information Statement Protection Plan" booklet which included personalized stickers on p.1 listing the VIN, Year, Body Style, Color, Original In-service date, and information identifying the plan code, term, expiration date & mileage. The remainder of the booklet details the CPO coverage.

I also received a very useful 3 page report entitled "Warranty vehicle Inquiry" which provided a list of all options on the car as well as a complete BMW service history.

The only thing I did not get were new batteries for the fobs as the salesman didn't realize that the Comfort Access fobs are not rechargeable. A quick trip to Radio Shack for a couple of CR2032 batteries for about $5.00 solved that easily enough.

Good luck on your negotiations.

Tom
Wow. They did a really good job for you. Congrats.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
You really don't need to worry too much about it being in a wreck. If it was in a serious wreck where there was frame damage or other significant damage it's virtually certain the dealer would have found it. It is against the rules to CPO such a car and it is not in the dealer's best interest to break that rule. If it was in a "fender bender" and the repair work was done to BMW standards they can CPO it and I don't think they are necessarily required to inform you of that.
I wouldn't trust them to repair a damaged car according to BMW specs, but that's just me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts