BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Opinions wanted, let your vote do the talking.

• 2003 MINI CooperS

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQ 5 spd.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2003 Infinit G35

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Something a few years old

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Hold onto the money and just drive your beater (92 E34)

Votes: 17 34.7%
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love the styling/design of the car, but I've never been very fond of how the E46 drives/handles, plus I'm just ready for something new. I've been in this car now just a little over 2 years, getting bored.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Sean said:
I love the styling/design of the car, but I've never been very fond of how the E46 drives/handles, plus I'm just ready for something new. I've been in this car now just a little over 2 years, getting bored.
Bored after 2 years :confused:

But, besides the Mini. if you don't like the 330, I doubt you would like the others....

I voted keep driving the E34....

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nate328Ci said:

Bored after 2 years :confused:

But, besides the Mini. if you don't like the 330, I doubt you would like the others....

I voted keep driving the E34....
Yes, I tend to get bored easily and I like change, well at least with my cars. The longest I've owned a car is 5 years, 1990 Acura Integra LS (great car!). Now I Typically only stay in one for 16-18 months.

I just dropped $1300 on the E34 when there are others things it needs repaired, this repair was totally unexpected. Nothing like the hose blowing off the expansion tank and taking off part of the neck. Needless to say, I now have a new Radiator, Thermostat and Water Pump (went ahead and did it even though it was only 3 yrs old, same goes for the thermostat) What a pisser! :mad:

G

·
Nate is correct this time. If you think the E46 isn't fun to drive (and I wholeheartedly agree with you on that - but you already know this), you will almost certainly not find either the Audi or Infiniti to be any better. The IS300 maybe. But then you'd have to live with the stigma and that maddening gauge layout.

I think an E30, E28 or E36 are all good choices. None of them are any larger than the E46 and all of them offer the feel the E46 is lacking.

Or maybe you can get a stripped 350Z in a few months after the initial over-MSRP fervor dies down.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:
Nate is correct this time. If you think the E46 isn't fun to drive (and I wholeheartedly agree with you on that - but you already know this), you will almost certainly not find either the Audi or Infiniti to be any better. The IS300 maybe. But then you'd have to live with the stigma and that maddening gauge layout.

I think an E30, E28 or E36 are all good choices. None of them are any larger than the E46 and all of them offer the feel the E46 is lacking.

Or maybe you can get a stripped 350Z in a few months after the initial over-MSRP fervor dies down.
Well, MY E46 is fun to drive :p

But, an E28 is larger. I have put many thousands of miles on a 533i :)

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh, another possibility would be to hold out until 2004 for a Z4 2.5. I've been warned off about buying one the first year (common sense) from several BMW Techs. They have a feeling the new electric steering is going to be a problem. I mentioned that the MINI has it, but apparently it's different. If the Z4 is anything like the New 7-Series it will have many teething problems. I saw at least 8 New 7's in for various problems, with 2 of them not being able to be resolved. :thumbdwn:

I could consider an older P'car. One of my friends in a Porsche nut, owns 3. The bug may bite me. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I would go for the MINI S. With the supercharger, the thing is damn fun! And of the new cars in your list, it's the least expensive. With the SP, it drives like it's on rails...more nimble than an E46.

We actually stopped by the MINI dealership last night. The lot was full of traded cars - mostly SUV's. But there were lots of unexpected cars as well: An Audi S4, Mustang Cobra, an M3...the Sales Rep told me he's seen some "very interesting trades", like the guy who traded his Lotus V8 Espirit for a MINI S. He also said that "a lot of kids come in and trade their Porsches for a MINI"

WTF? What person in their right mind would trade a PORSCHE for a MINI?? Why? "Well, the reason they usually give is that they like the look of the MINI"

Well, to each their own. But the car thats the most fun, and bang for the buck, is the MINI. Not that practical though - it is SMALL.

One caveat: Due to the orders they're receiving, the wait is now 8 months from deposit to delivery. :(

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Being in a sort of similar position, I'll give my $.02.

For the moment, I'm keeping my E34 since it does the job of providing fun daily transport for the family and I don't feel bad driving it on the odd track day.

The only car currently available that I'm seriously considering (other than the 330Ci) is an E36 M3. The others are the yet to be released ///M2 and the next generation 3-series.

I voted keep driving the E34.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Sean said:
Sell it now... the boredom won't go away, only escalate.

You can attempt to "fix" the problems by modding the car... but they are only band-aids. In the end you will have a E46 that you paid too much for and that doesn't fundamentally drive any better (ask me how I know). Sell it and be done with it.

I also doubt that the A4 or G35 will offer anything different.

I haven't got the foggiest what to replace it with. I've been trying to figure out something for the last year and there isn't anything out without a stratospheric price tag or useless practicality.

E36M3 - IF you can get a good one that isn't outrageously priced or isn't yellow. Old ergonomics and the used thing are definite negatives.

E46M3 - Too much money, IMO.

350Z - Unfortunately it's highly impractical

G35 Coupe

S4 V8

Next gen 5-series 3.0 TT

Not for me... but interesting none the less: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_golfr32.html

Let us know what you come up with.

·
Tamer of the Mighty V8
1,321 Posts
You know Sean, I drive a '95 540 and have been considering leasing a new 330ci.
My vote was for you to keep the 525.
I think it's interesting that so many people are selling their 330's for something else, BMW or not, WHY?
Is there something I should know about this car?
In about a week, I'm particapating in "The Ultimate Drive for The Susan G. Kormen Breast Cancer Foundation, at my local dealer.
They, along with BMW, suppply 20 new BMW's of different models and people test drive these cars and $1.00 per mile ( for the test drive) will be donated to this foundation and BMW matches dollar for dollar.
After this event, I get to drive the 330ci that they have to the next dealer, (this fleet of vehicles is traveling all across the country) which is about 50 miles away, so I will be able to see for myself how the 330 handles itself on the open highway.

Anyway, good luck on your decision, Keith "The Wine Guy":)

G

·
Keith said:

I think it's interesting that so many people are selling their 330's for something else, BMW or not, WHY?
Anyone who has experience with older BMWs, after the initial newness wears off, realizes that the E46 is just boring to drive. The only guys who remain happy with the E46 are the guys who came from Japanese FWD cars and Nate, who's affection for the E46 I cannot explain.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
If you think the E46 isn't fun to drive (and I wholeheartedly agree with you on that - but you already know this),:flipoff: you will almost certainly not find either the IS300, Audi, or Infiniti to be any better.

I think an E30 is a good choice :thumbup: . It is a lot smaller than the E46 it offers the feel the :flipoff: E46:flipoff: is lacking.

oh... did TD just sort of say that?:angel:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:

Anyone who has experience with older BMWs, after the initial newness wears off, realizes that the E46 is just boring to drive. The only guys who remain happy with the E46 are the guys who came from Japanese FWD cars and Nate, who's affection for the E46 I cannot explain.
Explain this...

The newness of my E46 Monster Truck has worn off. I have plenty of experience with rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars made on three continents. I used to own and drive an E30 BMW. I don't think that the E46 AWD wagon is boring or unfun to drive. There's lots of cars out there that are more fun, but there's even more that are less fun.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

Explain this...

The newness of my E46 Monster Truck has worn off. I have plenty of experience with rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars made on three continents. I used to own and drive an E30 BMW. I don't think that the E46 AWD wagon is boring or unfun to drive. There's lots of cars out there that are more fun, but there's even more that are less fun.
What he said:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.