BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JETPILOT10
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I need some help. I have a 2000 540I Sport with Steptronic slush box. What type tool and size is required to remove the fluid service plug on the 5HP24 (A5S 440Z) transmission? It looks like a T50 Torx bit, but I tried removing mine yesterday and it appears like the T50 torx bit is going to strip the grip points inside the head of the bolt. I was wondering if there was another style of torx bit that has wider, flatter points. Its hard to get a clear view of the bolt that needs to be removed. Not sure if the last place that did the Inspection 2 over tightened it or what but I damn sure don't want to strip the grip points in the bolt.

Any suggestions?

Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm pretty sure its a hex (allen) bit and the size is probably 14mm. It's been a while since I've changed my fluid but I know it is a hex and not torx.

·
JETPILOT10
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hex Allen Wrench

Yes, it is indeed suppossed to be a Hex key, but unfortunately for me, some A hole from the last shop that did the Inspection 2 has stripped the damn hole for the Hex key. I am screwed as I don't see anyway to get the damn plug out. The only thing I can think of at this point in time is dropping the pan, then drilling a hole all the way through the plug and using a bolt extractor to get it out of the transmission case.

Anyone have other ideas on how to get the Filler plug out of the case?

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hex Allen Wrench

Yes, it is indeed suppossed to be a Hex key, but unfortunately for me, some A hole from the last shop that did the Inspection 2 has stripped the damn hole for the Hex key. I am screwed as I don't see anyway to get the damn plug out. The only thing I can think of at this point in time is dropping the pan, then drilling a hole all the way through the plug and using a bolt extractor to get it out of the transmission case.

Anyone have other ideas on how to get the Filler plug out of the case?

Dave
I cant find a trnsmission filler plug for my 95 325i automatic 17mm only drain plugs are they the same size ? that would explain it.
I'm pretty sure its a hex (allen) bit and the size is probably 14mm. It's been a while since I've changed my fluid but I know it is a hex and not torx.
I cant find a trnsmission filler plug for my 95 325i automatic 17mm only drain plugs are they the same size ? that would explain it.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
81 Posts
My e30 and e46 are both 14mm hex/Allen plugs if I remember right. My e39 looks to be the same but I haven’t actually done it yet. You can buy a 3 socket set at Oreilly that has a 14, 17, 19mm Allen head with 1/2” drive. I also have a bunch of 14’s in the hand wrench style because I work on medical equipment. Take a standard hand 14mm Allen wrench and cut off 1/2” from the short end so that it’s “stubby”. Works great to break the plug free and do it by hand the rest of the way.

·
Registered
‘89 325i, ‘98 528i, ‘99 528i, ‘03 325i
81 Posts
Also, if you order the MTL/ATF service kit from FCP they include new plugs/seals. Makes things easier.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,737 Posts
On the E39 540i with 5HP24 (AS-440Z) transmission, the drain and the fill plugs of the tranny is an 8 mm Allen hex bit.
And definitely replace the plugs, or at least their thing O-rings, when you service the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah! I've been here before with an old Volvo m46 transmission. You have a welder? Know some one who dose? Weld a bolt into the plug, let it cool, remove your damaged plug and replace it with a new one or do as I did and run it that way for 10+years

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,737 Posts
Yep, you can weld that 8 mm Allen socket in the stripped hole of the plug. Then unscrew the plug, and throw away the socket and welded plug. Replace the plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts