Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my oil change goods from Amazon. Showed up this morning as expected. I ordered a MANN filter, some Mobile 1 and a new plug. Since I have alot of travel coming up today was the perfect day to get er done. All was fine as usual except the oil filter. I went back through my order and sure enough, I did order a Mann. Unfortunately, I didnt get it....I got this weird one instead. Ive never even heard of this company and to be honest, cant even tell what the heck brand it is by the box. "Phoeslx"? Is it pronounced "Feces"? Have you guys ever heard of this before I go ape Sh7%$t on amazon? think its safe to use? Id like to get this done today and the AZ and AA around here have severe allergies to anything BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I personally would not trust it. You paid for Mann, tell them your true Mann filter or refund. I've known of friends that the part wasn't worth it. This is why I don't buy thru amazon.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wow. Leave a negative review, demand a refund and use a real filter. That thing might disintegrate and seize your engine with particulate.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awwwwwwweeeeee *&%&$^#@!!!!!!! thats what I thought. I was really hoping I was living under a cozy rock and that this was some brand I just missed over the years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a local store that has a mobile one filter....thats trustable right????

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to go over the river and through the woods but I found a Mann oil filter. So with my extensive biotech background, I decided to do a very scientific test.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After thorough examination and extensive testing, the Mann filter outperforms the Phoenix. the seals included with the Mann were more pliable and "fresh" looking and the crush washer was actually a bit more robust. In addition, the Mann filter came with a nice smiley face which immediately boosted its score to 5 stars. The Phoenix looses all stars because the box looks like it could say "feces" and well, thats just gross. Additionally, since Amazon doesnt even want it back (dont blame em) I will be ripping it apart and modding it to be used in my Bissell Pet Vac!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seriously, that weird filter wont touch my car. I am all about saving $1 but I put too much heart and time into that engine to be worried every time i crank it up if I am going to have some sort of crazy inside out paper filter pinata blown into my motor.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Good call on using a proper filter!

I think amazon has a really good return policy.
If you got the wrong part, you fill out a form within your account and it creates a shipping bill for you.
Print it off, and slap it on the box. Just drop off the box at your local post office.
Doesn't cost anything.
Once they receive it, they re-send you the correct part. (the correct one hopefully this time!)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good call on using a proper filter!

I think amazon has a really good return policy.
If you got the wrong part, you fill out a form within your account and it creates a shipping bill for you.
Print it off, and slap it on the box. Just drop off the box at your local post office.
Doesn't cost anything.
Once they receive it, they re-send you the correct part. (the correct one hopefully this time!)

I had my wife call amazon for me shes better at bad cop then me). I just told her how upset I was about having to run around town. She did something and they called her actually and said "keep the filter and your card will be credited". giddyup. they didnt even want it back lol. I think..this is a serious guess....is that they do sell a filter called Hicense or something like that and the box looks exactly like this Phoenix box. Its probably the same filter but the name on the box is different for some reason. The hicense one got horrible reviews all over so maybe they changed their name? Either way, the "Mann" was on my order history. someone pulled the wrong part at Amazon or tried to pull a fast one. Ive ordered the same Mann filter 2 times before and never an issue. I just hit the order gain here for the 3rd time. I didnt think there would be an issue. then again, I was already mad at Amazon because they hit my paypal for $120 just yesterday for my annual membership....they never alerted me they were going to do it and never told me it went from $99 to $120! Its still worth it though considering all the crap I buy and watch with Prime for $10 a month.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I buy most of my bmw parts from www.getbmwparts.com.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-e83-x3-oil-change-kit-pke83x3oil

All oem parts.

Some things I get from fcpeuro.com and other things from ecstuning.com.

When it comes to car stuff the only thing I trust amazon for is the occasional light bulb and wiper blades. Amazon has a wonderful return policy and ease of shopping is really high but there is an incredible amount of sub par junk peddled on there too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive done some buying from them for parts. Ive gotten lucky for the most part. The Mann filter is what $7.50 on amazon free 2 day shipping and the oil was (mobile 1 0-40 synthetic) was $26. To me, I dont care what distributor I get it from as long as its the legit manufactures product I ordered. This is the first real stupid mistake from them. I ended up paying $12.98 for the same filter at Advanced Auto. I am not patient either so amazon works well with 2 day shipping for me. As you stated, I might hesitate getting something non OEM that I didnt recognize thats for sure. What I usually do is shop the exact thing made by the exact manufacturer I want and go with the best deal. I definitely stay away from Ebay "from China". I almost always select "north america" anymore even when from china its always cheaper...and thats for my drone stuff and laser stuff never car parts. I got my aux fan assembly from amazon for I think like $150 and its been running perfect for over a year. It was an off brand so maybe Im on borrowed time. I got a windshield weather strip though thats starting to warp after not even a year. Im waiting for the day it blows off! I think Ive had worse luck with ebay.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bought my oil change goods from Amazon. Showed up this morning as expected. I ordered a MANN filter, some Mobile 1 and a new plug. Since I have alot of travel coming up today was the perfect day to get er done. All was fine as usual except the oil filter. I went back through my order and sure enough, I did order a Mann. Unfortunately, I didnt get it....I got this weird one instead. Ive never even heard of this company and to be honest, cant even tell what the heck brand it is by the box. "Phoeslx"? Is it pronounced "Feces"? Have you guys ever heard of this before I go ape Sh7%$t on amazon? think its safe to use? Id like to get this done today and the AZ and AA around here have severe allergies to anything BMW.

Chinese garbage... avoid it!

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Sign up for the rewards from Advance... I buy enough parts that I get $5 off every Mann filter I buy from them. I've got a stack on my shelf.

Or, if you prefer Pentosin or Liquimoly oil, just order the entire kit from ECS, FCP, et. al. Not terrible price considering the cost of said oil. I go that route during the warmer half of the year, and go the Castrol 0w-40 with $5-off Mann off-the-shelf filter during the cold half.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If you buy your stuff from FCP, they warranty it for life.

Even oil filters

Even oil

Seriously.

You buy new, ship back old, they credit you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you buy your stuff from FCP, they warranty it for life.

Even oil filters

Even oil

Seriously.

You buy new, ship back old, they credit you.
You have seriously shipped back used oil and filters to FCP for warranty credit? If that's the case, I suspect they'll soon be out of business.

AM.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
You have seriously shipped back used oil and filters to FCP for warranty credit? If that's the case, I suspect they'll soon be out of business.
Been there; done that. :thumbup: The out-of-pocket cost was that the shipping on the return was on me. The credit received was for the original purchase price, not the current selling price of both items.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

AM.
They won't actually. I've figured the numbers and the impact is minimal. That's their business though, so I won't elaborate.

They do have to watch for grifters like me who own three models with common parts

( I don't screw them because their pricing is great, service top shelf, and shipping fast and reasonable)

Example..I busted the PCV box on the E83 being a gorilla, and sent it back confessing truth, and they replaced on warranty.

I've tended to buying OEM parts at higher prices, knowing that I'll never pay again. Very few run their cars through two life cycles of parts in expensive stuff, so we are the exception here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts