BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm paying cash for my X5. I should be picking it up next Friday (7/29). What should I expect when I sign off on the deal? What will they try to sell me? Of those, what is worth buying?

I've heard they try to sell you a tire warranty and extended maintenance plans. Anything else? Any one have more details on these plans?

·
Registered
208 Posts
They will also try to sale you interior and exterior protection plan.

I got them to throw in the interior protection as part of the deal.

I would not do exterior. There are better options.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,080 Posts
Expect to sign your rights away in a binding arbitration clause embedded in the sales agreement.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
They will definitely offer you an extended warranty purchase (to extend the 4 year 50k mile WARRANTY). They will also likely offer you an extended MAINTENANCE aggreement. Most here would advise you not to purchase the MAINTENANCE agreement, since all that does is pre purchase maintenance items like oil changes etc. You can purchase those as you go for not much more, or go to a BMW indy dealer when your car runs out of the maintenance aggreement that it comes with.

For the WARRANTY aggreement, thats up to you to choose.... however most here would recommend that if you choose one, choose on that is FROM and BY BMW, regardless of how wonderful they tell you their third party warranty aggreement is. They may push their third party aggreement or not, but personally I would never buy a 3rd party warranty aggreement that was not BMW backed. A BMW backed one means you can go to any BMW dealer, anywhere. It will be more expensive than a third party warranty, but in general the BMW warranty covers more and is easier to get coverage on at a BMW dealer.

They might also offer you lojack car finding service (which most would decline) and they may offer you a package deal for all of these things together.

They will likely offer you a tire and wheel protection package, which will replace damaged wheels and tires... you have to damage a fair amount of wheels and tires for this to pay off, and it specifically does not cover "wear".

They also may offer you some sort of paint protection, or interior protection, or window etching, or some such like that. All of that should just be declined.

If you want my opinion, the only thing I would personally consider would be an extended WARRANTY, BMW backed only and discounted to whatever bottom line price they will do for it. There is no online resource that tells the pricing for these things.. and they will bring out a car that shows "list pricing" on the items that may or may not be the real list price. When they start going over the list of all the things they want to offer, I usually say something like :

"can you hang on a second? Before you go through the whole presentation of how wonderful all those things are, the only thing I might be interested in is the bottom line price for the BMW backed extended warranty... what are your best offers on that. I am not interested in any of the other items, thank you"

A good finance person will recognize that they should give you whatever price on the warranty is the best they can offer, and then you can decide if you want to get the warranty then or later. Remember you can always buy it later... as long as the warranty on your car has not expired (4 years 50k miles), you can purchase the warranty later for an upcharge (around 10 percent). So, you only will save 10 percent purchasing it at inception, and you may not love the car that much over the 4 years 50k it comes with to want to extend it. Thats why many will recommend not even purchasing the extended warranty at that time, but waiting for a couple years and making sure that its "the one" so to speak.

Good luck... dont forget to post a few picks when you pick it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting an x5 with the third row so a spare tire is not an option. I keep reading about how awful the run flats are. I'm assuming that those are my only options. Should I consider the tire warranty? The closest dealership is about an hour away from me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't do the tire warranty. I'm one of the few that love the runflats. Just try them and form your own opinion.

Under normal operating conditions they perform well. I have been in downpours in the south, and I am very happy with the way they performed in the rain.

I never needed the warranty on my 328i and I don't need it on the X5.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,080 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Remember that EVERYTHING is negotiable, namely all the wiz-bang extra coverages they'll be trying to sell you. Know that you can also buy those contracts after your deal, and through dealerships outside of the one from whom you're purchasing. Also, before buying the extended warranty, have them go through it with you and LOOK FOR ANY AND EVERY exclusion that may make that extended warranty just a multi-thousand dollar piece of paper. This especially applies to the diesel engine and their lack of willingness to back coverage of CBU removal. I'm sure I sound like a broken record on this forum, however BMW NA should not be allowed to get away from honoring the extended warranty their finance teams push on the consumer. Oh, and make sure that you get some nice floor liners and a trunk liner since you're paying cash, and anything else you can think to ask for but you're unsure if they'll allow!

-John

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Arbitration depends on your state laws. Lemon laws very by state and some require an arbitration process before suing under the lemon law. Note I am not a lawyer, just someone who has dealt with too many contracts.

To the original question. Yes, they will try to sell you the kitchen sink at closing and yes the margins on that stuff are high. I've always said no thank you politely and explained that I just do not keep cars that long.

On the run flats I personally do not like them, but can understand why many do. I agree with the other poster that you are best to drive the X5 with them and see if you even notice them. They are much better than they used to be. I would consider carrying some type of tire patch kit if you drive in remote places since they can be difficult to impossible to repair. (There are other threads on that)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts