BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Idrivebimmers
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 328i convertible 6 speed, 27k miles... the warranty expires in April 2012. I should have 33k miles on it by then if I'm trying hard. I've only had the car for a few months but it hasn't been a problem. The convertible top has worked perfectly fine.

What should I have the dealer look into before my 4yr/50k warranty expires?
Any known issues I might see down the road with higher mileage?

Moreover, is adding the 2 yr/100k warranty worth purchasing?

Thank you

·
Registered
493 Posts
minor things that you wouldn't think about

...windshield washer operation (pumps seize), interior door handles peel (service bulletin for replacement if you speak up), seat belt butlers (service bulletin for spotty operation). Everything else is computer dictated.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty given the low mileage of 8000 miles a year. What makes serious mechanical things go wrong in a car is not 4-6 years of time, but high mileage. Better to put the $2000-$4000 aside and use it as you need it.

Low mileage cars with extended warranties have a good chance of expiring unused.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Regarding this same question: I have a checkup scheduled for next week with a reputed indy shop here. I also have a 2008 328xi with 40,000 miles on it.

The indy mechanic told me that water pumps WILL fail on a 328.

Question: do water pumps have a major problem on the 328? Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

·
Idrivebimmers
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slant83 and hpowders.. thank you so much for the insight. I'm heading in to the dealer tomorrow to fix a few things and chat about the warranty. I do agree with the low miles I have, 2 more years of warranty may not be used to the best of its ability.

Any thoughts on upgrading the Professional Radio? I'd like to add a phone/Iphone connection.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
Regarding this same question: I have a checkup scheduled for next week with a reputed indy shop here. I also have a 2008 328xi with 40,000 miles on it.

The indy mechanic told me that water pumps WILL fail on a 328.

Question: do water pumps have a major problem on the 328? Is this a known issue?

Thanks.
The water pumps have historically been a weak point in the 3-series. In fact, it was often a good idea to replace them proactively to prevent damage to your engine when the pump failed. This is less clearly an issue with the E9x though, given that the electronic water pumps have been reasonably durable.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
What should I have the dealer look into before my 4yr/50k warranty expires?
Between now and March keep a list of things that may need to be addressed under the original warranty. Make an appointment to have those items attended to in March.

If there are no warranty issues, sometime in March go in and get a key scan, no appointment is necessary (at least in my area). This will tell the service people of impending maintenance items that have not yet shown up on the vehicle dash or navi as a yellow or red warning but may still be covered under the maintenance warranty. In my own experience, some service departments (McKenna BMW in Norwalk, CA) have been better than others (name withheld until I have a chat with the service manager) in taking care of maintenance under warranty even though it hasn't yet showed up under the vehicle CBS warning system.

Moreover, is adding the 2 yr/100k warranty worth purchasing?
That's a personal judgment call. Everyone's worry with the cabrio has been been the top, because there is so much going on in the opening and closing process and repairs are potentially quite expensive. But the top has been remarkably trouble free, at least going by infrequent reference in user forums and not showing up either in the news/Consumer Reports or personally, except for maybe a few cases of frayed strings. I think there was also some issue about tops or perhaps some aspect of tops (components or labor or something) not being covered by some warranties. Anyway, it doesn't matter what others decide. If a warranty gives you much needed peace of mind and the cost only means you won't be able to take as much with you when you go to Heaven, go for it.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
slant83 and hpowders.. thank you so much for the insight. I'm heading in to the dealer tomorrow to fix a few things and chat about the warranty. I do agree with the low miles I have, 2 more years of warranty may not be used to the best of its ability.

Any thoughts on upgrading the Professional Radio? I'd like to add a phone/Iphone connection.
If ya got low BMW mileage:

Take the advice I offered on dis here thread.
Say no to the x warranty and have mo extra bread.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The trim on my steering wheel started degrading/peeling on a side, so I asked a dealer to replace it a few days before the warranty ended.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
The clock is ticking....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.